Potential dream tank.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So the opportunity to get a dream tank may be closer than expected... My wife agreed that when we move into our first house I get a big tank as part of move in cost. Now that maybe happening sooner than later so I've been thinking about it more. The goal of the tank is to house any breeding pair of SA/CA cichlids.

Question is, do y'all think a 540 gallon (8'x3'x3') fits the bill? Also I need to do more research but glass vs acrylic?

Thanks for y'all's input!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So the opportunity to get a dream tank may be closer than expected... My wife agreed that when we move into our first house I get a big tank as part of move in cost. Now that maybe happening sooner than later so I've been thinking about it more. The goal of the tank is to house any breeding pair of SA/CA cichlids.

Question is, do y'all think a 540 gallon (8'x3'x3') fits the bill? Also I need to do more research but glass vs acrylic?

Thanks for y'all's input!
A 540g for ONE PAIR??? LOL Might as well do Peacock Bass, Dovii, Buttekofferi, something along those lines......I would just shoot for a group of SA or CA cichlids and try to get all males or all females.. More species diversity = more color diversity, more therapeutic/aesthetic value IMO.

Many people will disagree though lololol

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
It will house many other fish over the years but ultimately, at some point, I want to house a pair of full grown dovii.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Something like that is the only size tank id feel comfortable keeping a dovii or an umbee in.

i know that some people prefer big tanks to be acrylic because they weigh less so its easier to move.
i think I've read somewhere that some acrylic will start to change color or gain a weird tint over time. that alone has kept me conceived that i don't want an acrylic tank.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Glass all day long. It's heavier, but that's only a problem when moving it from the delivery truck to your basement.

Also, make sure you can get a 3' wide tank through your door ... if not, you could get it 24" or 30" tall and bring it in sideways. 3' tall is nice but seems unnecessary. 96x36x30 is still 425 gallons...

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
A glass 540g tank would weigh sooooooo damn much. You would need like 10 dudes to move it or more. I have all plexi and have only had all plexi for 34 years in the hobby.. While plexi does scratch easy and can form bubbles in the joints after MANY years I have not had that happen in my TruVu tanks. Do they even make glass tanks at 540g? Sounds like a nightmare! Granted my biggest tank is a 200g but it's plexi and I can move the tank mostly by myself. If my 200 was glass I bet it would take 6 people to move it. Go Truvu and you will be happy....so will the wife.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Ya, at that size it's custom. Hadn't really thought about door ways not being 3' wide but I see what you're saying now. The idea about this tank is that it's movable without having to disassemble.

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Take a look at Lee Nuttal's tanks. I don't know of anybody that does big tanks better IMO. I want to say his main show tank is 4' wide. The width really makes the tank look natural and shows the big fish off.

I don't keep the monster fish, but is 36" height necessary? I think I would opt for 24".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store