Power was out, problems now.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
I went away for three days this weekend and got an email from my apartment complex that the power went out. It was out for 68 hours.

I came home to really cloudy almost yellow water and everyone gasping at the surface.

I didnt even test the water I knew it was bad so I did back to back 70% water changes, tested and got back to 7.2/0/0/5-10?

Now I'm noticing these weird spots and it's hard to explain but their mouths appear full as if they have food in there. Swollen maybe? One of my Uaru has a litte string like thing coming out of his mouth whenever he exhales.

I can't find anything on the spots online because I've seen ich and this is not ich

image.jpeg

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
i am sorry that stinks. Continue with the water changes. I would also add salt. uaru love to get ich. I can't tell much from the picture. sorry

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
agreed , keep with the water changes, I would also treat with kanoplex,

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
anything possible, and do not disagree, just like to see some meds in there for a coarse to halt any bacterial/fungal infection because of his description. pristine water is the best long term cure, kanoplex not hurt anything as far as a compromised bio filter goes or hurt the fish.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Update, I am no longer cycled. Nearly every fish in the tank has duck lips. I had to go to work.... Now two Uaru are dead and everyone else is struggling.

I thought my cycle might break so I added some media from other tanks but I came home to 4 ppm ammonia.

I am considering moving the strongest ones into a new tank. A smaller one so I can do more water changes.

At this point though I seem to be losing the battle

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry to hear!

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
I decided to attempt to resurrect the Uaru. I had prepared a small Tupperware for baths with new water so I put them immediately in there seconds after they went belly up. I decided to attempt a hydrogen peroxide bath. It's the only remedy I have on hand.
Started another water change. I went back to researching while the tank drained. When I came back one Uaru was alive! Well, seemingly alive. Right side up and breathing very, very, rapidly. Unsure of how to continue I took a chance and dunked him back into the main tank. Turned around #2 is now alive.

Rushed around finding whatever thing could hold water and prepared Hydrogen Peroxide baths. I ran everyone through a 15 minute bath and there is a significant improvement in breathing. Only time will tell now. For those interested here's where I found the info. Also, I only did the Hydrogen Peroxide bath because I thought the Uaru were dead. It was a brief though before but I decided it was too risky.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa157

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
you'll be looking at heavy, heavy water changes; get some established media from lfs, and ammo lock

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store