Pre purifying water for WC.

alysha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
What would be the best method for pre "filtering" the water for my water changes? I'm thinking of something like adding some layers of different media in my Python tube that will help purify the water that goes into the tank. I of course will still be using prime but was just wonder if there is anything to help clean the water of chloramines and such before it goes into the tank?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I don't think this is necessary. Chlorine and chloramine are both liquid form dissolved in the water. They can't be filtered out with filter floss or sponges. If you have debris in your water that can be filtered out with floss or sponge then I would suggest finding another source for your water changes.

pdxmonkeyboy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
you CAN filter out chloramine but prime is much cheaper. The problem with chloramine is that it leaves amonia which you then have to filter out. chlorine will simply evaporate on its own if left for a couple days.

Google your water bureau to see which disinfectant you use.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Chlorine bonded with ammonia in a Chloramine compound, will not allow the chorine to evaporate out in any significant way, or reasonable time. When I worked as a chemist at a water company we tested chloraminated water that sat for 2 weeks and found no significant reduction in chloramine residual.
We "were" able to filter chloramine out using activated carbon, but the detention time in the carbon had to be very long, it had to be dripped so slowly thru a long tube, which is impractical for use in water changes Maybe enough could be dechloraminated to change water using a 24 hour drip for a 1 gallon betta bowl.
Using one of the commercially available dechoraminalors is the only efficient way I know of.
If money is the sticking point you can use the dry form of Prime (Safe) made for ponds, and mix your own, or even cheaper buy a bucket of sodium thio-sulphate salts from a local chemical supply company. Sodium thio breaks the chloramine bond, removing the chlorine but leaves the ammonia. My biofilters were always oversized and easily handled the ammonia bump, and because I always added the chloraminated water to sumps as opposed to directly into the tank, this also helped. A 5 gallon bucket of sodium thio is not cheap, but lasts forever. Sodium thio was practical for me because I had 3000 gals of tanks, but may be impractical for the average aquarist.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
There is one filter I know of that is supposed to work well-

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reverse-osmosis-chloramines-monster.html

It was designed to be used with a RO system but I spoke with BRS, it can be used on a drip system as well. If kept under a gallon per minute flow it will treat 75,000 gallons. For most that is well over a year of water. The replacement cartridges are $160.

Not cheap, but it is an option, especially if you want a drip.

pdxmonkeyboy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
yes, I was not trying to imply that chloramine will magically become chlorineven and dissipate.

I'm a hydroponic cannabis grower.. yes, I know I know but this is a multi million dollar operation, not "dude, I have Weed in my basement" and we HAVE to get rid of all the dissenfectants to run biologicals in our water. The biologicals prevent root disease breakouts.

We found that a couple carbon filters.. especially the KDF carbon block filter is very effective and removing chloramine, even at reasonable flow rates. As Duanes stated, it's about contact time and we just chained several filters in a series. A readily available DI cartridge will get rid of the amonia.

I run this on my fish tank and have had my water lab tested and found zero chloramine and ammonia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store