pregnant guppy

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Honestly, just because of the many different colours and shapes they come in, these will probably remain some of my favorite fish for all time.

beefcake44b

Feeder Fish
Mar 12, 2008
Utah
I am brand new at the breeding and guppy game. Is it possible to grow the fancy guppies with the larger tails from normal guppies with proper feeding? Also if my pregnant female is stressed, can she still birth her fry or what will happen? I have her seperated from the males I have but am not sure if this was 100% necessary. please advise!

sharkslayer46

Feeder Fish
Nov 30, 2008
earth
the female rarely absorbs the unborn fry but depending on how big she was, how pregnant she was, and how mush you fed her. Like you said you nver had guppies before so maybe you didn't feed the guppy enough and overnight she had her babies and considered them a snack, it just depends

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
i wouldnt put more males than females the females can be easily stressed or even nip at the males. If a guppy is extremely stressed she will abort her babies and just give birth to under developed eggs, this is why it is bst to understand how close ur guppy is to giving birth before puting her in a breeder trap, or taking her if nothing has happened. My method is always use java moss or other plants or hide grass for the fry. I feel i get just as many fry from leaving the mom in th tank with the moss and hide grass as i do with puting her in a net or breeder box.

jaw09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2011
united kingdom
I bought 3 female guppies from my local pet shop 4 days ago and as usual 2 are lightly pregnant and I have this one which I am not sure when it is going to pop so I was wonder if any body had a rough idea of how long she has left, she has been being acting like she would when heavy pregnant in terms of hiding and always staying away from my other guppies thank you :) link to picture of her below thanks...

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h349/gupplover1995/?action=view&current=103_5024.jpg

I have posted this as a reply cause im new to the site and dont know how to post or thread :)

jaw09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2011
united kingdom
and by the way when you have more males than females the males can harass the females and eventually the females will die, but the rule is and inch of fish per gallon of tank water unless you are willing to do weekly 75% water changes treating the water afterwards for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH and water hardness. The ideal rule for males to females with any live-bearers is 1 male to 3 females. JW.

muffywrx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2011
lincoln, NE
Jaw - to me, your female doesn't look that pregnant. She also looks very small. You may not have success for the first couple of births due to her size, simply because she will probably eat the babies. But maybe not. Look for her body to square out ... She may start swimming harder and not moving as much right before as well.

good luck!

fwlionfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2011
Texas
Not to sound like too much of a jerk but i had a guppy who i could have sworn was pregnat turns out she just had to poop. it happend to her alot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store