Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Preserving fish

Discussion in 'Setup and Filtration' started by davo, May 22, 2007.

1. davo

davo MFK Members

Jan 21, 2015
      I was looking into preserving fish.... you know the dead specimen in a formaldehyde filled jar. Well, as i think thats a carcenogenic(?) what would be used as a substitute that i would be able to access and not have to do anything special to have. Would it be part ethanol/proponol or mixed with something? I heard of using a 70% ethanol solution with something else.

Anyway ideas :confused:

2. wizzin

wizzin MFK Members

Jul 20, 2009
      I have a huge container of formaldehyde :naughty: However, I think you can use a strong mixture of pickling salt and borax. Don't know what the water would look like after a while though :uhoh: :yuck: It would definitely prevent decomposition though.

I think alcohol would work too. Have fun :D

3. steveprovot

steveprovot New Member

Sep 30, 2007
      my friend once found a oppossom mom that died and he put the dead babies in alcohol and its lasted well over 5 years i didthe same with still-born rat pups and they lasted years. my fiance has a kidney and heart from a disection of a cat in high school that was in 04 they are still fine. so long story short use alcohol like you clean cuts with it will last forever

4. Horiyoshi III

Horiyoshi III MFK Members

Oct 10, 2014
      I would get 100% Ethanol not Isypropyl,Isypropyl is a wood alchohol and i don't think it would be good.100% Ethanol i have no idea how you would get it,but im shure it would stay clear forever and not disintergrate specimens.

5. Polypterus

Polypterus MFK Members

Jul 7, 2014
      The general process for alcohol fixing a specimen is to first soak in 25% ethanol for a week or so, Take it out and then soak in 50% ethanol for a week or so then remove and place in the final solution of 70% to 80% ethanol.

ethanol concentration is always diluted with distilled water.

6. beblondie

beblondie In Loving Memory

Aug 16, 2009
      Preservation
      I use 70% alcohol for preservation (or at least maintenance of perservation) of our specimens...this is diluted from the 95% stuff we keep on hand in the lab. the actual preservation/fixation, however, is done with formaldehyde. if the fish is larger than just a few inches then i cut the belly so the chemical can enter into the insides of the fish and preserve everything. the fish stays in the form. solution for a couple days. if its a gar or bichir, a fish that has rigid bony scales, then i take the fish out after 2-3 days and just let it air dry. the fish is now dry preserved.

if im doing a standard preservation i take the fish out after 2-3 days and let it sit in a container of water to soak out the formalin. after a day in the water the fish is removed and placed into a container of 70% alcohol for long-term preservation.
      as far as using other alcohol, i think as long as its relatively pure and the proof is about 140 you should be ok...in theory

7. CHOMPERS

CHOMPERS MFK Members

Bubbles
      May 12, 2014
      I think everyone has had dead oppossum babies in a jar. I am not sure if I still have mine. They will last forever in rubbing alcohol.

8. Fabio's Dad

Fabio's Dad Annie the Sun Conure

Mar 24, 2012
      I use 70% for all sorts of things like spiders, fw fish, midgets. But I've never been successfull with sw fish with that method.

9. Fabio's Dad

Fabio's Dad Annie the Sun Conure

Mar 24, 2012
      I was just being silly. However, as I read that last post, I realized that it may have been quite offensive to many people. I'm really sorry if anyone was offended by that.

10. CHOMPERS

CHOMPERS MFK Members

Bubbles
      May 12, 2014
      SW fish are ok if you are going to eat them later. Fw fish will taste funny. Midgets are too stringy...