Probiotic experiment

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have been reading the sticky about probiotics ever since Miguel pointed it out to me.
After taking out the plants that I'd been overwintering to the pond, from a refugium/sump, the sump became overrun with cyanobacteria.

Being on line with a few other tanks, they started to become a bit over run with it too.

So in response, today I got off my dead arse and bought some Rid-X dormant bacteria (the @ 10oz box was about $10 at the local hardware store)
I added a spoonful to the equipment sump of the cyanobacteria infested line of tanks.

I added 1 spoonful of the powder into a 150 micron filter sock, because most bacteria are in the 0.45-<1 micron range, and will be slowly dispersed throughout the system, easily slipping thru the sock.

I've also added Rid-X to a small back yard pond, that has been inundated with pine cones and needles, and become quite sludgy this spring.
Last year the pond had a protein skimmer which kept it clear, but this year the fractionator is being used elsewhere.

The Rid-X powder was added to the back of a small fountain, where water from pond is returned by the pump.
My intention with this experiment is to post pics of the progress (if any) over the next few months, to see if this product really makes a difference in these 2 systems.

You can see the newly added powder on the lower middle to the left of the shot.
The pond is @ 500 gallons, and contain 4 goldfish, and one 10" koi.
I will add a spoonful of RidX once per month according to package instructions, and post pics as changes occur.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Great post Duane! I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out. The probiotics should be able to out compete the cyano. Please keep this updated.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Subscribed :) I've been using ridX for 3 weeks now and thought about doing a write-up like this, but that tank has only been setup for a few months so I figured the results would be inconclusive. I have noticed a significant decrease in algae growth and build-up on my white sand though, and especially on the white filter polishing pads. They used to turn brown in 5 days but I've been checking them weekly after using the ridx and the pads still look almost new. I'm talking light grey with a smudge of brown where the flow is strongest compared to almost black in the same amount of time before using ridx. So without any other changes besides a maturing system I'd definitely have to say the probiotics are helping

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Duanes, just want to note on here, I'm using significantly more when I dose. One tablespoon per 50 gallons weekly when I first started. So it will be interesting to see your results at this dose.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Good to know.
I may try adding more because I don't see a difference yet.
The line of tanks is has about 300 gallons, so one spoonful may just be too wimpy.
I don't see any difference in the pond either, I was thinking it would take a little time, but maybe with this, the more the merrier.
Duanes, just want to note on here, I'm using significantly more when I dose. One tablespoon per 50 gallons weekly when I first started. So it will be interesting to see your results at this dose.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I use more too, without that kind of overgrowth in tanks to start with. really fast results, esp on driftwood.
doubt that RidX scavengers keep multiplying on their own.
Now I put dry RidX inside mesh bags in tanks & remove exhausted media the next day.

If you don't see action within one week, I'd say it's under-dosed.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
I've been using 1 tablespoon per 50 gallons too, so about 5tbsp in my 240. I would suggest wiping down the algae weekly so it has less chance to compete, it will grow back slower each time but that would also make the experiment harder to observe lol (actually, it might be easier to compare growth at the end of each week before wiping down the glass). It won't go away by itself tho so you should at least scrape off any brown or dying algae

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I use more too. I typically put half a cup in a container of aquarium water for my 225. I was adding directly now I started to leave it in the container of water for about an hour and stir occasionally and pour into the tank thru a fine net. I like petspoiler's method too but I haven't done it yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store