problems!! calling all ray owners!! i need help. i'm slowly loosing my rays!

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Ok, i have had a long few weeks.

All started, i picked up a new female p14, she is around 10" ray. i have a pup tank plumbed into my main tank. Currently the pup tank had a captive bred marble. i received the female p14 july 24th. She had a missed flight and was bagged nearly 15 hours. After receiving her, water was slightly dirty and smelled. i put her in the pup tank and she seemed to be doing fine, and even ate a few hours after introducing. Next day, she was climbing the glass and i noticed her belly was very red, and she was breathing pretty heavy but still eating. The day after she started breathing out of one gill and "coughing". i assumed stress and possibly gill flukes. i went and got prazi pro and treated the whole system. Immediately after treating the marble started acting up. His pattern started running and looking smeared and his breathing was very labored, and by the next day was no longer feeding. i kept the prazi in the system for about 2-1/2 days and started the drip back up, and did a couple small water changes to remove meds, because i felt the prazi was killing the marble. (never seen prazi have any ill effects before this).
about three days after these waterchanges the p14 and the marble started to recover (this was around august 1st.) fast forward a few more days august 6th. i started noticing my breeder leo was starting to not act right. He was breathing heavy and i noticed it looked like he was not wanting to stay on the bottom, he would swim about a 1/2" above the bottom of the tank and looked agitated. (i immediatly threw in a divider to keep the other rays off him) i then decided i had to see what was wrong with his belly and then i noticed he had skin peeling. (see picture). i have not noticed a ph crash, i have checked all water param, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, ph 7.5ish, nitrate 40............ he died by the 10th.
I thought after seeing his belly maybe he was punctured by a stinger or maybe got picked on by my big male p14.
i noticed his spots were starting to run around the edge too.

so i thought this was all over, tough loss to loose a ray i have had for 5 years, but thought things were going to go back to normal.

fast forward to august 14th.. both of my last adults are showing something isnt right. both seem to "cough" occasionally and just not acting there self. from what i thought i knew is the coughing and the breathing one sided is usually a sign of gill flukes. so maybe i just need to treat with prazi again, since i only let the dose of prazi go for a few days maybe it killed them, but now the eggs have hatched and at it again. but if i do means i need to isolate the pup tank since the marble did not seem to like the meds at all.
on a side note the marble and the new female p14 seem to be doing pretty dang good., and the other adult ( poss pregnant leo/hen seems to be acting fairly normal, just see the coughing on occasion, but the adult p14 is not eating as aggressive as normal and working the sand over like he normally does.

so if anyone has advise im all ears, because it looks like im slowly loosing my whole collection.

oh- i do run a really good uv, however i let my bulb get old and was about 2-1/2 years old, until i replaced it the 12th of august.

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Sorry to hear that man. Seems a lot of mystery is attached to Rays. I also noticed prazi and salt really affected my marble pup as well. Have you looked into probiotics for aqua culture?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Could be some sort of disease knduced by the long shipping and potential ammonia burn and maybe causing respiratory problems in your rays. That could be what i suspect. I do not know rays that well.

Maybe these guys have something to say?
Charney Charney
JK47 JK47
@UnstoppableJD

Reactions: keepinfish

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i know back in the day a bunch of keepers had this skin peeling stuff.
DB junkie DB junkie F FishDog
aquaman45 aquaman45 vamptrev vamptrev
kendragon kendragon H HULON

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Only time ive seen lesions on the belly was water condition issue... like an ammonia problem or ph crash.. I am not sure how the UV would effect the potency of the prazi pro but I usually shut my UV off when i treat with meds.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Only time ive seen lesions on the belly was water condition issue... like an ammonia problem or ph crash.. I am not sure how the UV would effect the potency of the prazi pro but I usually shut my UV off when i treat with meds.
UV kills off bacteria but could potentially degrade or destroy medicines :/

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Sliding spots around the edges usually means water quality issue. I had something similar happen a few months ago. I lost a male pup dosing with salt and paraguard for some ich that showed up on my Pbass and geos, and in the process lost a bunch of BB causing what I think was a short ammonia spike and slight pH dip. My large prego female marble stopped eating and spots around her disk started to slide and her slime coat started to peel off. I got really worried. I turned the lights off, and just dripped like normal for rhe neweek. Didn't feed for a few days, then slowly added more and more food again. I just changed my filter socks as needed.
My males never stopped eating and showed little to no signs of stress besides burying themselves more than usual.

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
To me sounds like maybe water but you said good so im not sure. I have experienced a lot of health issues and it is frustrating can make you want to give up sometimes. Other fish I have kept have always done well for the most part I think stingrays can be tough to keep partly because they produce so much ammonia. I think we want to fix them when there is something wrong and we start guessing what to do I think Dr. Ross called it the shotgun approach. I try now to just work on clean water unless absolutely sure what to do. I wish you the best Keep you probably know more about rays than a lot of us.

Reactions: SHARK13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store