proteus pike snapped in the heat

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I had to remove my female proteus from the community tank last night she began attacking every tank mate the black stripes that I have never seen before came up .we are having some very hot days here in the uk my tank is at 31.5c and that is after a 50% wc with cold water on sunday .I think the heat has increased the aggression in my proteus pike . As you can see in the photo she is usaly a more drab grey but has coloured up at the moment.

IMG_9525.JPG

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

EricTheRed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
Your Pike looks great. You could try rearranging your tank decor and reintroducing her to the 90 again once the water your water has cooled down. The warming water may be a coincidence and your Pike just reached a size where she will no longer accomodate neighbors in her 90G tank, you will know after you reintroduce her, just keep a close eye on her to ensure she cannot wreak too much damage on her tank mates if her aggression wasn’t related to the rising water temp. In that case she will have to stay in the 55G as a wet pet.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
yes a good idea but when I rerrange the tank she rerranges back to suit her self so I gave up may leave her in the 55 solo

Reactions: EricTheRed

EricTheRed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2015
Rearranging a tank by your Pike can be annoying but I personally find it to be one of the many fascinating aspects of cichlid behavior. I didn’t explain my earlier point very well, but I recommended rearranging the 90g before reintroduction to PROTECT YOUR PIKE. I have had established cichlids gang up on and kill new arrivals, even larger more powerful new arrivals. To prevent the likelihood of this, destroying established territories introduces chaos into your cichlid society and makes a concerted attack against a new arrival much less likely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store