Puffdadier Shark Care Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy shark

Banned
Jan 8, 2014
America
I got my husband a puffdadier shyshark. Me and my husband can't find a care sheet for them. Can someone guide me to one or write one up for me. Thank you for your help.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
perhaps you should have researched before buying. hope you own a chiller...
Common Name: Puffadder Shyshark

Scientific Name: Haploblepharus edwardsii

Alias: Puffadder cat Shark, or “Happy Eddie“(referring to it‘s Scientific name).

Maximum Adult Size: maximum length is 27"(69 cm) in length.

Average Adult Size: average around 24"(61 cm) in length.

Maximum Adult Weight: about 2.2 lbs (1.0 kg)

Size at Birth: about 3.9-4.3 inches (10-11 cm)

Size at Sexual Maturity: about 14.5-16.5" (36.8-41.9 cm) for males, and 15-17"(38.1-43.2cm) for females.

Age at Sexually Maturity: roughly 2.0 to 3.0 years (24-36 months)

Growth Rate: approximately 10.2-15.2 cm per yr (4-6") as juveniles.

Longevity of species: about 15 years.

Geographical Distribution: found near South Africa in the Southeastern Atlantic Ocean & Southwestern Indian Ocean.

Habitat: A fairly abundant temperate water shark - found in kelp forest, sandy slopes & rocky outcrops in South African waters.

Diet: invertebrates - like shrimp, small crabs, & small octopi, also eats small fish.

Activity level: a very active especially at night. This species is considered to be very hardy. They are voracious feeders, but are basically harmless to humans.

Preferred Water Temperature & Conditions: often considered a subtropical to temperate water species, as they seem to preferred a water temperature range is between - 50-64F (10-18 C). They seem to prefer salinities in the range of 27-34 ppt or about 1.020 -1.025 SG, with a pH of 8.0-8.4.

Absolute minimum recommend tank/pond size: for a single average size adult Puffadder Shyshark is at least 24 sq.ft (Tank - 8' long x 3' wide x 2' deep, or a Pond - 5.5' diameter) with a volume of at least 360 gallons is highly recommended. For a pair or small breeding group of 2-3 adult sharks a tank of at least 38-40 sq.ft (Tank - 9' long x 4.5' wide x 2' deep, or a Pond - 6.5-7' Diameter) with a volume of at least 570 gallons.

Puffadder Shysharks in Captivity: This species does fairly well in captivity, and feeds rather easily, once acclimated. These species has been known to breed in captivity. The species does will with some live rock decor. This species is much rarer than the Bamboo sharks, but still can occasionally be seen in the trade. Also however this species is best left to experienced shark aquarists due to its need for cool water.

Potential Problems: This is a cool water species - and such always be kept in water temps less than 65F. Keeping it above 66F for a prolonged period could increased it’s chance of disease or illness, and ultimately could result in a shortened life span.

Cited Sources: Michael - 2001 "Aquarium Sharks & Rays", Fishbase.org, IUCNredlist.org, Flordia Museum of Natural History,Ichthyology Dept.

--------------------

Bigger is Better - especially with shark tanks

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Feeding will depend on the age of the animal and the water temp.
Young eat more, and warmer water means more (daily).
Adults are fine with 3 times a week.

PJs are similar in feeding, but will be 4 feet as adults. They require the same cold water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store