pump GPH suggestions help 950, 2 950, 1200?

perdeep007

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
new jersey
i have a 125 gallon aquarium and probably a 30 gallon sump. i was wondering what is a adequate pump capacity for my sump? i had a quite one 1400 which was great but way too loud for my living room and returned it. looking into getting a danner Mag but what size should i get? the 9.5 is for 80 bucks but they have a special for two for 112. is that overkill for my sump or i can get a 1200 for 120 or 1800 for 120. i have a dual sump so i guess i could run two 950s but is that to much power and sound? any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

mattyice572

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2015
New Jersey
I usually recommend at least a 10x turn over rate, so a 125 gal tank would run nicely off a pump that can turn 1250 gph. If youre looking for something quiter, try looking into blue line external pumps. If you are familiar with iwaki pumps, the blue line pumps are almost identical in power, and efficiency. If you need something internal for a tank that size expect a little noise. To cut down on noise you can try placing the pump on top of a foam pad, or insulating the interior of the stand but be careful as this may cause the water to warm a little more than normal. A mag 12 pump throws water at 1200 gph but after you account for head height you lose some of that power, but for a freshwater tank i belive it will be adequate.

perdeep007

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
new jersey
I usually recommend at least a 10x turn over rate, so a 125 gal tank would run nicely off a pump that can turn 1250 gph. If youre looking for something quiter, try looking into blue line external pumps. If you are familiar with iwaki pumps, the blue line pumps are almost identical in power, and efficiency. If you need something internal for a tank that size expect a little noise. To cut down on noise you can try placing the pump on top of a foam pad, or insulating the interior of the stand but be careful as this may cause the water to warm a little more than normal. A mag 12 pump throws water at 1200 gph but after you account for head height you lose some of that power, but for a freshwater tank i belive it will be adequate.
although that external looks great im not to confident as im using flex piping and this is my first run at sump filter. Would running two 950s be way to loud?

mattyice572

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2015
New Jersey
although that external looks great im not to confident as im using flex piping and this is my first run at sump filter. Would running two 950s be way to loud?
Its not going to be silent, again try a foam pad under the pump to cut down on vibration may help slightly reduce noise

Reactions: perdeep007

perdeep007

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
new jersey

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
they seem really good but the next one up, the DC 9000 2377GPH is only 15 dollars more, do you think I would be ok with that pump or is that to big?
I would just get the 6000, I think 2377gph would be a bit much for a 125g. The dc 6000 is equivalent to the Quiet one 1400gph you had, but it's a lot quieter. If the quiet one worked fine for you than I would stick around the same amount of flow.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I would get the DC9000 - especially if it's only 15 bucks more. Keep in mind it's a DC pump so you don't have to run on max. If fact, if 1250 gph is your goal 9000 is fine and you dont have to run on max. I run a waveline 10000 II on my 300 gallon with sump. But my goal wasn't 10x turnover. It's a quiet pump and think Jebao is based on that.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although Mag Drive pumps have decent flow, they can be quite noisy (they have a distinctive hum, and unless bolted down, tend to vibrate).
I used Mags in my basement, but switched to Laguna for areas where a quieter pump was needed.
You are going to have water movement noise no matter what pump you use though.
And also...flow rate has a lot to do with the type fish you keep.
I have many riverine/rheophillic species that prefer heavy flow, so I run 2000gal+ in most tanks, but if you have species that prefer a more still environment you can get away with lower flow pumps.
You can see by how the plants lean with the flow the kind of water movement I use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store