Putting glass on metal trough

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So I'm very possibly getting a 300 gallon metal trough for my AST I'm wondering if it's possible I can put a glass viewing window in it. I have an old 120 that I can take apart to use

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
If its stainless, not a prob... id assume its galvanized tho which is toxic... u need an additional liner overtop of the galvanized trough or to sand it down and coat it with an epoxy paint to make it fish safe.

Reactions: deeda

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yea I plan on painting it with pond liner paint. But my question is will the trough hold after cutting out a larger window has this been done before?

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Yea I plan on painting it with pond liner paint. But my question is will the trough hold after cutting out a larger window has this been done before?
Why metal trough, why not just get the 300 gallon Rubbermaid?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Interesting question.

The thing you are asking is: if one cuts out enough of a side of the trough to allow for a glass window of x dimension, will the structural integrity of the trough be compromised? The answer, I would think, (not being a structural engineer) is that it depends on how it's done, what amount (size) is removed, and how the trough is originally constructed.

The chance that it will be fine I think is much greater if the window is smaller, rather than larger, simply because there is far less chance that a smaller window will affect the trough's overall structure. If you're looking at a larger window, I'd lean towards getting a purpose built trough with a preset window.

The price is tempting, but the cost of 300 gallons on a wood or carpeted floor could be prohibitive.

Assuming it's stainless or properly sealed, the trough still might have great uses as a sump, as a hospital or quarantine tank, etc. Just might not be the best candidate for a conversion.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Well it's for my alligator snapping turtle so viewing from above won't be a loss and it'll at most be 150 gallons since the lil guy needs to breath. But yea I understand the risk and don't want to temp it if it fails

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I am getting a trough like this, I want to add a glass window of two to the long sides my question is can it be done I don't want to buy something

IMG_2659.PNG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store