Putting glass on metal trough

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Save the tank for raising food,keep trough simpleish with water hyacinth and some inexpensive feeder critters

Reactions: Jag586

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
If that's the case I'll leave it on the floor so kids can see in, I just need to make a simple glass or plexiglass lid to keep humidity down. Thanks for the advice all! Can't wait to get it and post pics

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
You can absolutely do it if you build a rigid frame out of angle for the viewing window. You will need to be able to weld to do it. If the frame is strong it will not flex and put pressure on the glass like you would have from simply adhering the glass to a hole cut in the trough. Any welder should be able to pull it off but you will need to make sure it is sealed. The pond liner would probably take care of that.

Reactions: Jag586

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
i would just go out and spend $100 more on a 300g rubbermaid tub
or find a large used tank.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
What would be the point of a Rubbermaid tub?

I'm still on the fence of doing a window I think it'd look nice if I can guarantee not to mess it all up

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
What would be the point of a Rubbermaid tub?

I'm still on the fence of doing a window I think it'd look nice if I can guarantee not to mess it all up
Rubbermaid has a nice footprint to it, also you won't have to spend extra money on a liner

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Do you intend to place the trough on some kind of stand or will you be sitting it on the floor?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Most likely the floor, I was going to do a stand but it's already like 3 ft tall. And the foot print of the trough is perfect where it's going, I just was going to add glass cuz A I have it and B I like looking at my fish and such from the side

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Most likely the floor, I was going to do a stand but it's already like 3 ft tall. And the foot print of the trough is perfect where it's going, I just was going to add glass cuz A I have it and B I like looking at my fish and such from the side
Okay...I asked because it seemed to be a bit of a waste to install a window if the trough is going to be so low to the floorI.But,someone has already posted and explained how to do it if you still intend to go through with it.Keep us posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store