Putting small bichir into deep tank?

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I ordered several bichir, and they arrived at around 3 to 4 inches which is a bit smaller than I expected The tank is around 28 inches deep which has me worried for their air breathing needs.

I have them in a 20 gallon for now with some catfish that also came in at incredibly small sizes.

Part of me thinks they must live in far deeper water in the wild so it should be fine? It just looks like a long way for them to swim though?

Should I let them grow a couple inches in the 20 then move them over or is this even worth being concerned about?

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
If possible lower water level until they grow larger or add floating plants.
Not an option, the tank has a sump so lowering the water level will just lower the sumps level. It has fake floating plants(I have herbivores so no real plants) and some driftwood that is waiting to sink floating at the surface.

grow them out a bit. also what type of bichir do you have
I am not sure if this matters given they are all small but Ornate, delhezi, and senegalis.

asian arowana

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2023
ornate will probably grow pretty fast (talking from experience) the one I have was 2 inches but grew to 7 inches in 3 months so keep the big tank ready

Reactions: tlindsey

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
ornate will probably grow pretty fast (talking from experience) the one I have was 2 inches but grew to 7 inches in 3 months so keep the big tank ready
The ornate is the smallest so I sure hope it grows fast. Bichir typically do grow fast though so not that worried about it.

Definitely wish I had a 55 or something to put them in. It is either a 300 gallon or a 20 gallon right now though so :l

I will see how they are in a couple months. At 5+ inches I would feel better about adding them to the 300 anyway.

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
My Senegal bichir 4 inch is kept in the same tank depth for months no issues he is super active frequently comes to top of tank

mikee870

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2009
Philippines, Davao City
Truth is they just dart all the way up really fast to get some air, some just stays on the middle part of the tank surface. Totally ok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store