puzzeled?!?!

andy123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
PALM COAST FL
maybe someone on here can help figure this out... ok I have been bredding angels for years.. I had a bunch of angels and heater failure wiped me out... so I got a bunch of new fish, and now began spawning... so this is where I'm having the trouble..

the fish paired up laid eggs, I pull them, I get wigglers, and I get free swimming fry... normal so far.. but after 3 days of the fry going swimming, they all die... I've tried just about all the foods that are available, and the most I can keep alive is about 36 fry, per batch and that's out of about 300 -600..
now this is where it gets tricky... it's not just on 1 batch, it's 4 different batches... all with the same thing, 3rd day is dead day... I even let the parents try to raise them, with the same end result...

now I've tried all the different types of food from the frozen baby brine, to first bites, and golden pearls, and I even tried decapsulted brine... Oops, I almost forgot green water as well... and the same result... I have bred and raised rams with no problem at all,, but these dam angels are really stumping me.... if anyone has any ideas let me know...

water perameters are in the normal range.. I've checked them all several times thinking that's what it was...

last thing,, the fry seem to recognize the food, but they don't seem to want to eat it... and it looks like they just swim right by it... and I never, ever had a problem feeding frozen baby brine to any of my fry....

thanks for looking, and hope for some great advise..
andy

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Sounds like parasitic protozoa. Thats a catchall phrase for micro-organisms which are killing your fry. Colonies usually establish themselves when you have over used brine shrimp or any excessive protein rich food. Sometimes organisms are as large as hydra but there are many small ones too. Google if you want scientific data or send me a PM. Do you break down the raising tanks between fry batches? Are tank walls very "slimy"? If you dont have a microscope to check then I would clean nuke one tank to see if there is marked improvement. The protozoa are colonizing the food and the fry know its not edible. They are either starving to death or being directly attacked by the parasitic protozoa.

The easiest way is nuke a tank is to run a dilute bleach solution leaving all filters running and then drain and refill water. You will need to re-establish your biological filtration again. If its just a simple test to prove the theory you can waterchange instead of waiting for bio filters.

Thats what it sounds like to me.

andy123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
PALM COAST FL
I do change all water between batches, and just give the sponge filter a squeeze to get some of the crap out of it.. but the sides of the glass don't feel slimy to me, they feel normal.. I was thinking maybe like a gill fluke or something... but it does seem to be that they are starving to death... but I'll try what you said about nuking the tank... right now I'm up for anything to see why they won't eat...

Dreaco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2007
Kentucky
I would try liquifry # 1 (spelling) its for baby fish, I had good results when I last used it. Also are you using an antifunal agent?? that may help.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Whats the temp?

andy123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
PALM COAST FL
I'm using meth blue, the temp is round 82-84 depend how hot it is out side.. the tanks are in the garage... I never had this problem before, and it only seems to be with the angels, and not the ram fry... that's why I'm puzzled.. I took down all the tanks and I bought some micro and walter worms, I'm going to see if that might help... I just thought maybe something in the genetics of the fish or something I could be forgetting....

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Try daphnia

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
Or egg yolk would help feed them

zoomed.com