Question about an adult red devil

Mbunaphan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cincinnati
I usually only keep mbuna, but I fell in love with a horribly mean adult red devil at an exotic aquatics store. I setup his/her tank, installed a fully cycled canister filter, put a few large mbuna in the tank, and let it go for two weeks. Everything was perfect, and still is... so I brought the red devil home yesterday and it is very active, responds to me walking by, follows my hand, etc... the only problem is that it won't take food, I even dangled one of my axolotl's night crawlers in the water and nothing but a stink eye. I have never had this happen with new mbuna, they always accept food instantly (I should mention the mbuna came OUT of the tank before adding the red devil before I get mean responses, lol). My question is, is this normal? If so. How long until I should worry?

Water parameters and other pertinent info:

12 inch red devil ALONE, no tank mates

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5 ppm
Kh-80
Gh- 180
Temperature -82 degrees

75 gallon tank
Two 4 stage 380 gph canister filters
300 watt heater
600 gph power head at surface of water with fan to agitate surface
And Bubble bar20150814_205639.jpg 20150814_205639.jpg 20150814_205646.jpg

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Seems to me sa/ca cichlids don't like a lot of change and take some time getting settled in. I get the impression that the bigger/older they are the more this is true. I would just give him some time to settle in. He looks to be well fed so he could probably go a couple weeks before you really have to worry.

Other problem maybe previous owner only fed him live and then you'll have to get him on pellets or w/e. Shouldn't be hard with a devil.

Mbunaphan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cincinnati
Seems to me sa/ca cichlids don't like a lot of change and take some time getting settled in. I get the impression that the bigger/older they are the more this is true. I would just give him some time to settle in. He looks to be well fed so he could probably go a couple weeks before you really have to worry.

Other problem maybe previous owner only fed him live and then you'll have to get him on pellets or w/e. Shouldn't be hard with a devil.
Thanks for the quick reply! The previous owner was actually the store, they have had him for a while since he is really mean and no one wanted to buy him. They feed pellets...I tried a few pellets, blood worms, shrimp chunks, and then the live worm. I took all the food OUT of the tank after he didnt eat it, only the live night crawler remains and if he doesnt eat it, I guess its his new tank mate lol.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Great looking Amph. I agree with the above post. Adult Cichlids often take a few extra days to eat after they've been moved to a new home. He looks thick and healthy, so I wouldn't worry about it. Great find!

Reactions: Mbunaphan

Southjerseycichlidz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
Don't worry about it I recently just got an adult female blood parrot and it hasn't eatin in two days they can go a pretty long while with out takin food from my experiences they just don't do well with change have to get comfortable with the new surroundings

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Not to worry, that big ol fat boy could go weeks without eating. As others have stated he's just getting settled in to his new home.

Reactions: sbgbuddy

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Mine went two or three without eating when I brought him home.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I never noticed this, but now that I hear it, it is totally true. 4-6 inch fish can go from one tank to another like it's nothing. Move an adult fish, and it's a totally different story.

I get the impression that the bigger/older they are the more this is true

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store