Questions About First Time Sump Build for My 125 Gallon Tank

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I see you have employed a pleco for the sump already :) Do you have room to reach down into the sump at this point? As you pointed out, just curious how you'll be able to reach down for maintenance?

For mechanical filtration, you can experiment and switch to sock with tie strap to the drain tube down the road if you wanted.

Reactions: wesbailey87

wesbailey87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2010
Laramie, WY
I see you have employed a pleco for the sump already :) Do you have room to reach down into the sump at this point? As you pointed out, just curious how you'll be able to reach down for maintenance?

For mechanical filtration, you can experiment and switch to sock with tie strap to the drain tube down the road if you wanted.
Yes I have. It's my Royal Pleco and my Red Devil was after him pretty good. I plan on getting a sock soon. If also like to somehow add more for mechanical filtration. I do not have room to reach down unfortunately, so for maintenance I guess I will have to drain the sump to move it for maintenance.

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
IMHO, get better media for your bacteria. Bio-Balls are best for a wet-dry, rather than submerged. Unless you will run less water in that sump. If that will be your normal water level in it make sure that you have enough volume left for a power outage to cover back siphoning.

Reactions: wesbailey87
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store