Quick question.

Cross127

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2006
CT
I am setting up a 125 soon and I'm going to be using my Magnum 350 along with a Flistar XP3 or XP4, I was going to get a Eheim Pro 3E but relized I need to pay other stuff so going cheaper. Plus I've heard good things about Filstar. My Mag 350 is already cycled so if were to put it on my 125 would the tank be cycled or at least partially even though the Filstar is not. Also I'm taking the Mag 350 off of my 40 gallon which already has a Aquaclear 50 on it and would it be the same scenario as the 125 if i added a AC 70 or 110. I doubled up the biomax in the AC50 thats on it now by taking out the carbon will that make a difference?

Cross127

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2006
CT
Alright got the 125 already. Now the guy who sold it to me gave me 2 eheim not sure the model but he drained the tank a couple days or so ago so all the BB in the media are pretty much dead. So would the Magnum 350 re-seed the Eheims?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
ALL the bacteria is dead. Bacteria need constant water flow and a majority of it will die off in a few hours.

Dechlorinate the tank water before letting it circulate thru the filters.

Clean them well prime with used tank water and place some used filter mat. from the 350 in each (or at least squeeze the 350 mat. into the eheims and let it set for 15 min) then start up. If you can afford some bottled bacteria it will help alot.

Dr Joe

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Put the magnum 350 on it and the eheims. The Mag will suffice, but keep an eye on your water params until the Eheims are seeded.

Cross127

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2006
CT
I know how BB work it's just I wanted to know if I can just put all the filters on and seed them with the one magnum. I'll take Dr Joes advice and squeeze the water of the filter floss into the eheims. I am going to let the water sit for a couple days with 2 powerheads and dechlorinator in it to make sure all the water is free of chlorine before I start up my filters.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
No need to wait that long. If you add the dechlorinator, the chlorine will be gone nearly instantly. Post a pic of the eheim, and we can tell ya what it is. Seeding the other filters with the 350 is a great way, but the other filters will need a source of ammonia. Whether this is from fish, inverts, amphibians or a bottle, doesn't really matter. The health of the fish, inverts, or amphibians may not be too good if you use them though... :D Bottled bacteria, I prefer bio-spira, will really jump the bb count, and get you cycled very fast.

Cross127

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2006
CT
WyldFya;991330; said:
No need to wait that long. If you add the dechlorinator, the chlorine will be gone nearly instantly. Post a pic of the eheim, and we can tell ya what it is. Seeding the other filters with the 350 is a great way, but the other filters will need a source of ammonia. Whether this is from fish, inverts, amphibians or a bottle, doesn't really matter. The health of the fish, inverts, or amphibians may not be too good if you use them though... :D Bottled bacteria, I prefer bio-spira, will really jump the bb count, and get you cycled very fast.
I am going to be using bottled ammonia and bio-spira as you mentioned to speed up the seeding process. I like fishless cycling because I don't want my fish getting perminately hurt like gill burn and all that good stuff.:nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store