quitting fish keeping

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
*Also, NLS selling food embedded with medicine to deal with internal parasites too.
*Another thing you said you into this hobby as early ages of 5 and now already gave up with minor problem you are dealing/having now! You're not truly a fish lover, you're more like a minor influenced fish keeper from your dad.
*I got into this hobby when I was 6 years old lol and a year later I already breed fighting bettas fish to trade with local fish for toys, at 21 years of ages I owned a snakehead fish farm and export them at daily commercial food to US before US banned live snakehead in supermarket. Trust me trying to prevent a disease in a fish farm is 1000% harder than trying to keep these fishes in these little glass boxes we are owning in our houses....

Reactions: BrookKeeper

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Fishkeeping has its challenges, but that's why I like the hobby so much; you have to really be on the ball with your care, which I think a lot of non MFK'ers tend to forget.

Even now, I'm treating white spot in my main tank; and I look after the set-up religiously, these things happen. Hypothetically, if my fish die (which I hope they won't), I'll learn something from it; and attack the hobby again with extra knowledge.

It applies to all scenarios in life, trust me it'll hit hard when you leave college!

But anyway, keep in!

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
not everyone is cut out for fish keeping. you need to find the hobby and see what interests you and go for it. I have been riding a motorcycle for years and fell off last year and go on again right away but ever since falling off dont really trust some idiots on the road anymore and still ride ocasionally but never enjoy it as much anymore. Sometimes these things just happen with hobbies.

Reactions: bloodlucky

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I don't know how you got the diagnoses your fish suffered from TB. From what I read about it its virtually impossible to cure. Better off Euthanizing all the fish in the infected. Spending all that money of medication was just a waste. Start over bleach the tank replace the gravel bleach the filters and get fish less susceptible to this disease. Labyrinth type fish seem to carry this disease most often.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Well thank you all for your support, for the most part. After all this is the internet so I can't expect help from everybody

My General Cure medication arrived today so as a last ditch effort I'm going to try to save my blood parrot. It says it kills a very similar type of wasting disease as fish tb, but in parasite form in contrast to a bacterial one (TB)

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I'm telling you your fish do not have TB or ever had it. The only symptom they show just so happens to be the most common symptom when it comes to internal parasites and bacterias. I mean just looking through the comments I see your dad has a 72 gallon. Has he ever run into this and did he also buy his fish from the same place as you? As for the general cure should get the job done if the fish is still in a decenet state.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Some times you might be surprised if you just let things run their course.. vs the entire tank breakdown. I really didn't have a choice.. but was toying with wiping my tank out and started from scratch.. I'm glad I didn't. My tank has had Ich, Columnairis and pretty sure TB too for years but finally its fine now. I went through a slight attrition rate of about 15% of my smaller fish(tetras, barbs, rainbowfish, mollies and platties), but what is left are now highly resistant and seemingly perfectly healthy fish. The bigger fish, even if they briefly showed symptoms or two, would eventually overcome. (cichlids, loaches, silver dollars)

I think the main culprit for me other than the sheer amount of small fish was the buying of rainbow fish.. they harbored open lesions for years before they would die. So they kept infecting the rest of the tank. Strange since either columnairis or TB is suppose to kill in days.. I'm taking that as a testament to the overall water quality. If I didn't start out the tank by buying hundreds of fish at a time and leaving out the rainbowfish, I probably would have been fine.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Blood parrots seem to have a high rate of parasites, being a intensively aquacultured species in Asia.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
I can't tell you what it is but I can tell the problem. Petco, petsmart, Walmart. Don't ever ever buy any live fish or live fish food from there!!!! I was there the other day to look at a turtle light and browsed the fish section, pathetic! Sick or dead fish in every tank. Went back about 2 months later for filter pad (emergency). All tanks were empty and dry. Sign said no fish for a while due to unknown illness. 2 months later. Worker girl who loves dogs said they just emptied tanks 2 days before. Wonder how many unsuspecting people lost money on DOA fish.
Spend some $ and find a good source, it'll save you $1400 in the long run

Reactions: bloodlucky

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I can't tell you what it is but I can tell the problem. Petco, petsmart, Walmart. Don't ever ever buy any live fish or live fish food from there!!!! I was there the other day to look at a turtle light and browsed the fish section, pathetic! Sick or dead fish in every tank.
Depend on the location, I love to buy fish from my local Petsmart. Their fish much much healthier than any Chinese, Thai or any Asian fish stores around my area, the down side of Petsmart is that they have very limited fish stock and only carry majority of community fish species. So if I want community fish, the first pet shop i will visit is my local Petsmart, I couldn't pass the 1 dollar deal for on some species. Also, dirty water. sick, dead fish happen in all LFS, you didn't know they were netted out all the dead/sick fishes and fed them to predator species before their store open everyday...That's why many of us here setup an extra tank called "Hospital or quarantine tank" for that reason...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store