quitting fish keeping

doviione

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2012
Sad to hear about you difficult lost about the fish.
hey guys i havent posted in a while but you may have remembered me from last year when i was posting about tuberculosis killing everything in my tank. basically fish tb started killing all of my fish, including fancy expensive ones and a fish i even raised from birth which i had a lot of attachment to. i spent a lot of money on medication but nothing worked. i ended up having to euthanize all of my fish, around the same time of last year. i also had to replace ALL of my equipment, the 40 gallon tank, the filter, gravel, everything save the stand.

i started fresh around this time last year and bought 2 blood parrots and an algae eater. one died in around december to an unknown cause, but i noticed that the other one wasnt growing. the algae eater also wasnt growing, and i started getting worried as this lack of growth is the same symptom of tb i had been dealing with from the past. but considering the odds of somehow getting tb in my new tank after already having it in my old one seemed so improbable, i didnt think much of it. i went and bought a $150 upgraded filter, and carried on.

then the algae eater started thinning out, and then it dropped dead, with the same exact looking carcass as all of the other victims ive dealt with in the past. and now my last remaining blood parrot is starting to thin out, with still absolutely no growth since i bought him. for the life of me i will never understand how i got tb a second time, but thats the final straw.

you win, tb. all and all i must have spent over $1500 for the hobby and built a bunch of attachments to my fish, only for them to be crushed relentlessly by this incurable disease. i spent $20 a week on kanamycin and neomycin antibiotics but nothing worked. and now i have to sit and watch my last blood parrot slowly die.

ive always loved fish since i was an infant, but i never knew one infernal disease could ruin so much. i have not felt quite such emotion in a long time. all i wanted was a simple hobby. im done with fish forever

Sorry for your lost, I am sure you will bounce back again.

I tried to get out, sold everything, as months went by only to find an empty feeling that something was missing.

I found myself getting back in again.

It is hard to give up the aquarium hobby once you've been in it.;)

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
thank you for all your condolences. i tried treated with general cure API starting around 2 weeks ago. unfortunately, he died this morning after struggling for two days.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
I can't tell you what it is but I can tell the problem. Petco, petsmart, Walmart. Don't ever ever buy any live fish or live fish food from there!!!! I was there the other day to look at a turtle light and browsed the fish section, pathetic! Sick or dead fish in every tank. Went back about 2 months later for filter pad (emergency). All tanks were empty and dry. Sign said no fish for a while due to unknown illness. 2 months later. Worker girl who loves dogs said they just emptied tanks 2 days before. Wonder how many unsuspecting people lost money on DOA fish.
Spend some $ and find a good source, it'll save you $1400 in the long run
this. i realize the problem now, especially after the point fatboy8 made about my dads 72 gallon. my dad bought all his fish from a very high quality LFS store that closed a few years ago. after we moved, all i really have access to is petco. thats where i got my blood parrot from, after i had already replaced everything that may have had tb on it. and he still died. not making that mistake again.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
I didn't mean to offend anybody, but I can only tell my story. in my experience, I stand by my words. and yes there is a fish store by my house that I buy prime and pellets from, but I would never buy fish from her. its worse than petco. there are fish clubs all over the place, hopefully you have one around you. they have auctions and usually good fish from fellow hobbiest and commercial sellers as well. hope thing work out for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store