Rainbow Wolfish = Red High Fin Wolffish

aro-man

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
.....thats a good question....
The tank is only a 55gal. They have been together maybe a year and the wolf is about 8". The BGK is 12", afer 5", and the bichir 8".

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
I've been considering putting a bichir in with my wolf but wasn't sure how it would work out when the wolf got bigger.
I'm still amazed that the wolf hasn't attacked any of his tankmates. I know I've only had him in there a few days but he was eating minnows within 10 mins of hitting the water. He eats maybe 4 or 5 of them everyday now but I've never seen him go after any of my other fish. Even the ones who are smaller than the minnows.

DaBadguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2007
Arizona
jelly;1234058; said:
This is the problem with common names, They get applied to many fish.

As I understand it they are different fish.

Rainbow applied to both Ery. Sp. Peru and Ery. Ery.

and Hifin to Ery. Ery.
Ery.Sp. Peu is the smallest one right at 8 inches right? whats the difference between ery. ery. rainbow and erry. ery. hifin?

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
Apparently they are the same fish. I was confused too.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
sp. peru and ery. ery are the two species called rainbow wolf peru is called highfin sometimes to peru is blacker and thicker than ery. ery

a bichir proubly wouldn't be a good mix at all bichir won't defend them selfs they will just try to swim away so it would just be a target but they are nocternal so they won't be the worst tankmate but still not a very good one

you'll really just have to wait and see at night is most likely when your fish will get killed watch the barbs and other small fish and for the gar there arn't any true gars that are small enough for you r tank but you could try a needle fish or anouther top dweller but if the wolf wanted to it could just go to the top of the tank so there not totally safe

Tucc185

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
www.reef2rainforest.com
In my experience Erythrinus sp., like all wolf fish, are intolerant of almost any tankmates. You will never see any sign of aggression during the day but each morning you will find fish with ripped fins, open wounds, and some you wont find at all after a while. The 3 I've had were all the same, but typically didn't show any aggression till they had been in the tank for a little while. Cool fish, though, and definitely worth a species tank IMO.

jagaurcichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
usa
what wolf fish would go good in a 120 gallon tank with a
jaguar cichlid
silver arowana
redtail cat
tiger shovelnose cat
texas cichlid
albino bushynose pleco