Rare Dorado Catfish

Kingrancher2011

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2014
O-H-I-O
So I picked up a 8" Dorado catfish today don't know to much about them besides they get big saw her at the pet store had to get it. So anyone here ever oven one?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They are not too rarely kept. I'd say I've come across 15-20 keepers over the last 8 years.

The problem is I am yet to come across even a 2'-er. The only one I know of is that of the German collector of large Pims, forget his name, Enrico Richter IIRC.

My tentative current impression is that people are (however largely) unable to raise them up even into sub-adulthood.

I got mine at ~5" last Sept. It's about 7" right now. Finicky eater, eats rarely. Extremely easy spooks and runs full speed into walls. They all either have or will have their snouts broken sooner or later - http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=944
Brachie, Capa and Dora.JPG

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Is this the B. rouseauxii

A beautiful fish

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
They're neat little catfish. I've had one in the past and enjoyed the experience. It sucks they don't keep their shiny coloration into adulthood. I never had issues with feeding, but they are very skittish. High flow and plants on either side of the aquarium did wonders to remedy that though.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
...The problem is I am yet to come across even a 2'-er. The only one I know of is that of the German collector of large Pims, forget his name, Enrico Richter IIRC....My tentative current impression is that people are (however largely) unable to raise them up even into sub-adulthood.
I hope someone will prove my impression wrong or at least show their big'uns.

... It sucks they don't keep their shiny coloration into adulthood. I never had issues with feeding, but they are very skittish. High flow and plants on either side of the aquarium did wonders to remedy that though.
Thanks for the advice.

On the metallic sheen - from what I've seen (even from the pics in the PCF link I provided), dorados retain their highly reflective, shiny metallic sheen that iridescens with various colors in lighting at various angles.

Is this the B. rouseauxii
Yes, if you generously throw one more "s" in there rousseauxii ;)

that's pretty disturbing that they break their snouts sooner or later o_O
Yea. Mine looks more or less ok above (a few months ago) but little by little I see that he damages his snout more and more. Also, Enrico is an apex fish keeper and photographer, a likely perfectionist. If his fish's snout is broken, what chances do I have? Still trying, of course, though.

More pics! I love these cats.
Poke the OP :)

Last edited:
Reactions: headbanger_jib

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
The ones with Rico were 3' and 4'2" specimen
Iirc he lost them due to heater malfunction.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great info to know. Thanks, mate! IDK he had two. I surmise one of them had his snout intact from Rico's pictures.

Superlaz

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
USA
I lost my largest years back at 15-16". He was a finicky eater initially, came around to silversides eventually and would eat a hefty portion. I found they did better for me in ponds. Spook less, and don't slam into walls like they do in tanks. Never had one with broken snout because of that. The 16" I lost was due to a tankmate. I found the cat out of the tank with two puncture wounds on his belly from my Armatus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store