Ray won't eat

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
High nitrates was my first thought as well. do nightly water changes of 30% for a week see if that makes a difference. adding a ray will add alot of amonia to your system which means you bb will take a few weeks to catch up regardless of how much bio media you have.
My suggestion is to set up a drip makes life easier
I would love to set up a drip. Always thought of doing one. I just don't have a great way to drain the tank. Does anyone have a good write up on drips?

And are you guys saying that the nitrates are the problem? What about my ph?

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Ph can be an issue but marbles are very tolerate of little ph swings. My marble male has gone on a few hunger strikes but always comes back around. For my drip I have 2 household water filters from canadian tire running about 100 gpd on my 180. For a drain I just drilled a bulkhead in my sump at the level I wanted the water from there it drains to a old sink that is not used in the basement

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Could be ph... Could be a combination of ph, and male harassing her

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
I'll check my ph for the next couple days and see what it's saying. If it's still running high Ill look into a meathod of lowering it. I'm gonna check my tap to see what it's running.

How do you deal wth chlorine when using a drip?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I'll check my ph for the next couple days and see what it's saying. If it's still running high Ill look into a meathod of lowering it. I'm gonna check my tap to see what it's running.

My Ph is never that high usually at around 7.0 or slightly lower.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk

Setup an HMA filter for the drip, that'll sort the chlorine

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Alright so after my waterchange this morning the nitrates are sitting around 10ppm. Temp is still 80.8 and ph is still 8.0. Also steered tap water. My ph is coming out of the tap between 7.8 and 8.0 so I'm not having ph swings. Just a higher ph than iv ever noticed before. My ph has always been solid a 7.6.

What are my best options for lowering my ph? But than Id run into issues of when I do water changes Id have a ph swing unless I aged the water correct?? Which I don't really have the means of doing

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
The PH number doesn't matter as much as PH consistency. Obviously don't take that to the extreme, but it doesn't sound like PH is the issue, even a swing from 7.6 to 8.0 should really not effect things that much, in my opinion anyway. PH rising is a lot less usual than PH crashing in these circumstances. I don't think nitrates are your issue either, 40 ppm is not bad, again its about consistency. Rule of thumb is your PH should match the tap PH, a drip should make that consistent, but your WC schedule seems adequate. The thing is though I don't know if you should be doing 75% changes, 50% is even pushing it. My suggestion is do daily 20% changes for a week, let the ray get used to its new water. If it comes around you can probably commence your regular changes. If not, my money is something wrong with the ray in specific, maybe stress from breeding attempts, I get the feeling your water is fine.

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Well I have some good news. Walked downstairs this morning to find the females disk towards her tail chewed a little and a "mysterious" cloud to the tank. Hoping he tagged her!

But the real good news is she ate like a beast today. Ate shrimp and tilapia until she looked like she was going to pop

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store