Rays for a 310 gallon?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all, out of shear curiosity, are there any species of ray that would be content in a 310 gallon tank? 7x3x2?
I'm feeling out stock for that tank as my NA natives are gaining a lot of size and are going to need to be moved into a pool/pond this winter or early spring.
I was planning on moving my polys to this tank, but feel like I I need to hit the south American side of fish keeping, and planned on getting some species from there. I always wanted to keep rays but never had a tank close to big enough so I was curious.
Since rehoming in my area would be a serious challenge I won't buy any fish that can't stay in the tank for life comfortably, and I'm guessing I'm out of luck in that department for rays, but figured I'd ask. Thanks!

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Hystrix and the smaller rays can fit that comfortably, you'll want an upgrade in a couple years time for motoro and blacks.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I would go with a pair of motoros, hystrix or retics.... i may have a pair of motoros m and f i may part with if ur interested they are around 6-7 inch disk

Shoot me a text 607-742-1066

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hystrix and the smaller rays can fit that comfortably, you'll want an upgrade in a couple years time for motoro and blacks.
that's what I was figuring was the motoros would need a bigger tank sooner rather than later. That's about the only ray I can get at any LFS around me, and I'd feel sketch getting rays online. Well looks like I may not be in the ray game any time soon haha.

Out of curiosity, what are the smaller rays you talk about? I've really only seen hysts being the "small rays" of the bunch haha.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Pair of Motoros in that size of tank is poor advice at best.

Do some research. You'll likely find the monster motoro across seas that births 20 pups at a time, eats between 1-2 lbs by herself per feeding and makes her 8x4 look small.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I would go with a pair of motoros, hystrix or retics.... i may have a pair of motoros m and f i may part with if ur interested they are around 6-7 inch disk

Shoot me a text 607-742-1066
I would man but I wouldn't feel right knowing they couldn't stay in my tank for life. Like I said out here it would be hard to rehome them, and short of donating to the PPG aquarium I don't think I could get rid of them easily without driving a fair distance or having someone drive far.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
that's what I was figuring was the motoros would need a bigger tank sooner rather than later. That's about the only ray I can get at any LFS around me, and I'd feel sketch getting rays online. Well looks like I may not be in the ray game any time soon haha.
Marbles might be okay, I'm not sure what the consensus is on size; but generally it's agreed they stay smaller than the like 30"+ disc normals. Retics have paper vitality and hystrix are harder to find, so marbles could be an option. Most male anything will be okay for ages, they stay considerably smaller than females. Hystrix, retics and scobina are the smaller rays, they will all sit comfortably. Scobina are impossible to find, as far as I know.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Marbles might be okay, I'm not sure what the consensus is on size; but generally it's agreed they stay smaller than the like 30"+ disc normals. Retics have paper vitality and hystrix are harder to find, so marbles could be an option. Most male anything will be okay for ages, they stay considerably smaller than females. Hystrix, retics and scobina are the smaller rays, they will all sit comfortably. Scobina are impossible to find, as far as I know.
haha awesome, thank you! This tank re-design is a ways off, the natives are still sitting happy in it for the time being, but my channel cat is going to need a pond within the year haha. I'll start looking around for those smaller species, I appreciate the advice!

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Pair of Motoros in that size of tank is poor advice at best.

Do some research. You'll likely find the monster motoro across seas that births 20 pups at a time, eats between 1-2 lbs by herself per feeding and makes her 8x4 look small.
Yea bc everyone has monster motoros that size

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store