Razorback Musk Turtle Feeding?

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
I think the title explains most of it. I currently have one in a 20 gallon filled to the top. There is a concentration amoutn of floating plants on one side that it often sits in but usually hides somewhere on the bottom. What do you guys feed them? I've never seen mine eat and I've had it for 2 weeks.

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
sounds like you need some sinking food... I don't have a razorback turtle but for any animal, I prefer to feed fresh food whenever possible, so anything you find at the local bait shop or supermarket is fair game. Just to give you an idea: earthworms, blackworms, fresh shrimp, silversides, etc. they all sink to the bottom.

your turtle may also only feed at night, so turn down the lighting... over time, once the turtle has learned that you = food, then you can start feeding during the day.

shells-n-scales

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2007
Deep South Texas
We have a little one in our 55g planet tank. He tore up each and every single snail in that tank. Ours feeds on reptomin sticks, any ghost shrimp or guppies he can catch, and on fish food. FYI he will not bother the plants nor dig them up.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
Dont fill the tank to the top, fill it like 60%, these should be given the possibility to get out of the water and bask.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
gazelle;4065923; said:
will razorback musks survive happily on massivore delites?
As a part of the diet yes but not by any means as sole food.

Gurky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
gazelle;4065923; said:
will razorback musks survive happily on massivore delites?
No they will need a varying diet. Depending on it's age it will/will not eat any vegitables. Try feeding shrimp, fish, earthworm, snail. Also it will need extra minerals/vitamins such as reptomin and also calcium supplement(this is done by using low fat cat/dog pellets and hydrating them in water with calcium added). When feeding anything that's frozen make sure it's properly thawed before feeding it to the turtle. When it gets older it will start to eat the floating plants so that's great to have.

When feeding the turtle you'll want to feed it in a separate tank/bowl (this should be filled so that the turtle can fully submerge). This is because they are messy eaters and you'll want it to poop there too. Else you'll need to change all water in the tank within 24h, this is because of hygiene and minimizing the risk of the turtle to get ill.

About your tank you should only have the deepest part about 2x the length of the turtle. Also make sure you have a part in the tank where the turtle can go up on land and bask. If you don't have any land there is a risk of the turtle drowning due to exhaustion (especially if you have filled 100% of the tank).

gazelle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
USA
Gurky;4066842; said:
No they will need a varying diet. Depending on it's age it will/will not eat any vegitables. Try feeding shrimp, fish, earthworm, snail. Also it will need extra minerals/vitamins such as reptomin and also calcium supplement(this is done by using low fat cat/dog pellets and hydrating them in water with calcium added). When feeding anything that's frozen make sure it's properly thawed before feeding it to the turtle. When it gets older it will start to eat the floating plants so that's great to have.

When feeding the turtle you'll want to feed it in a separate tank/bowl (this should be filled so that the turtle can fully submerge). This is because they are messy eaters and you'll want it to poop there too. Else you'll need to change all water in the tank within 24h, this is because of hygiene and minimizing the risk of the turtle to get ill.

About your tank you should only have the deepest part about 2x the length of the turtle. Also make sure you have a part in the tank where the turtle can go up on land and bask. If you don't have any land there is a risk of the turtle drowning due to exhaustion (especially if you have filled 100% of the tank).
ok mines 4 to 5 inches I think it ate a algae wafer because I a torn up one and nothing in the tank could've done that

I plan on feeding it market prawns and fish filets as soon as i get a flagtail thing figured out
i tried tthe taknking it out of the tank it didnt work out so well becauuse the turtle didnt' teat the massivore and it got too soggy and broke apart

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Supplement him with vitamin D for any sunlight he wont get

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store