RC 540 Gallon CA Community Build

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Beautiful set up. I'm planning on adding a group of cichlids to my tank as well. Anyone other than the jag a trouble maker? All the veija get along?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Dinh -- Thanks. I have some Jungle Vals on order right now. I'm gonna give those another try in this tank. I had some growing GREAT in my 125 for a few months, then they just stopped growing and died back. But, when they were growing, they were awesome and the fish didn't bother em at all. Some large rocks are on the way, too. I have a local place that sells stone for landscaping, lots of selection, different types and all. They have smooth river rocks of different sizes. I definitely need to do something cause it's looking kinda bare right now.

KNH -- Thanks much. The Vieja get along....kinda. There's a LOT of pushing and shoving all the time, maybe a fight every week or so. I think it's typical Vieja behavior, there's no tattered fins, so I think it's good. The Trimac and the Midas are no problem, but they're smaller than most fish in the tank.

The only real problem I've had with the Vieja is when 2 of them paired up a few nights ago. That's started all kinds of trouble, but I dropped the temp a couple degrees and it helped. I've heard of guys on here who keep all male tanks, now I see why.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I planted 20 Jungle Val's today. Let's see what happens....I'm sure they'll all be floating in the sump tomorrow morning, but I have to at least try.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I'm doing my best to just add males but I'm getting them small so there's some guess work involved. Midas seem to lose aggression in large tanks but that trimac may be am issue at some point. Keep us posted as they grow.

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
nice tank! kinda doing the same but with dwarf cichlids ( well ok angels arent dwarf cichlids lol ) and my 55g, well i have one severum but going to grow him out, i want to get a few apistos, already have a ram, may get a couple more, few rams, few apistos, maybe a pictus catfish, call it stocked ( after i add some tetras or barbs lol )

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
ragin_cajun ragin_cajun any update pics on this tank? Some gorgeous fish.

Reactions: Fguinan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store