Recommend quieter pump than ap100

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
Hey guys could someone recommend a pump that is much quieter than the ap100. The humming sound is driving me nuts since my setup is in the living room. It doesn't have to be quite as powerful as the ap100 but fairly close but please much quieter. Thanks

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
When you start pumping that much air, you get noise. Look up spec sheets online. Many pumps list decibel level.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I have a Rena 400 I sometimes use during the summer that is virtually silent. I have used many many air pumps over the years and this one us waaay quiet....even sitting up on the tank glass tops..

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Is it the pump itself that is noisy? Or, is it vibrating from what it's resting on, pipes connected or all of the above?

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
I have a Rena 400 I sometimes use during the summer that is virtually silent. I have used many many air pumps over the years and this one us waaay quiet....even sitting up on the tank glass tops..
wow sounds great. What's the output hole size on this model?

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
[QUOTE "Torchia32, post: 7348378, member: 123831"]Also I can't find a site that sells it most are saying discontinued[/QUOTE]
Wow...I just did a search and it would seem to be true! Well, it has been a long time...the air pump is still working just like new. Maybe an eBay search? I know you you can still get the tune up parts for it...

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Another really quiet air pump I have used over the years is the Whisper 60 made by Tetra...WalMart has always had them...these air pumps work great and if you set them on a sponge or rubber mat are super quiet.
One thing to remember when dealing with any diaphragm air pump is vibration is actually how they work. An alternating voltage coil drives a lever attached to a rubber diaphragm pulling and pushing the air. The coil is sometimes adjustable but the noise of the diaphragm remains. This noise then travels...yes, actually travels, through the airline. Now, I have had success quieting the airstream using a heavy duty airline and insulating the air pump, but experimentation really is what is needed to get that pump quiet. After I got tired if the challenge, I just switched over to venturi aeration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store