Reconstituting Powerbait

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I sorta didn't tighten the lids all the way after trout fishing season last year and it's all dried out, but not unusable. Generally I just mist it with a water bottle nd work the moisture back into it, but I'm curious if any of you guys have other ways of doing thing or even adding something besides water. The garlic scent isn't nearly as strong as it should be, so I was actually thinking of adding fresh minced garlic to it. Anyone ever try it? I've done it with pellet food, adding water and garlic and let the pellets get soft and then make a paste out of it that's like what they get fed in the hatcheries, but definitely a much different texture than Powerbait....won't even stay on a hook unless it's a treble.

How do you guys do things?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
sardine oil, right before fishing. Im sure how affective for trout but other species for sure.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I buy new powerbait LOL. But honestly, if all I have on me when I'm out fishing is dry and crusted I'll normally fill it with creek water and shake it around for a while then let it soak for a few minutes and that normally does the trick. You may not be able to smell it yourself but if a fish is downstream, their nares will most likely be able to pick up something.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I buy new powerbait LOL. But honestly, if all I have on me when I'm out fishing is dry and crusted I'll normally fill it with creek water and shake it around for a while then let it soak for a few minutes and that normally does the trick. You may not be able to smell it yourself but if a fish is downstream, their nares will most likely be able to pick up something.
you ever try adding garlic scent to pastes and baits with real garlic? I mean, it seemed like a good idea cuz the trout love garlic scent Powerbait, but I still haven't got anything with it yet

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
They sell Bang! Garlic spray at a lot of local tackle shops. I personally think a bit of water would do alright, or buy new, but your idea of minced garlic will only serve to help matters, you will do no harm adding it. Scent in my opinion is a way to keep fish in a general area, I have caught way too many trout off scentless plastic beads to make me feel it's their decision between biting or not.

Reactions: Frank Castle

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
LoL I get a new jar of power bait. make cat fish balls with the old stuff.

Reactions: davenmandy

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
LoL I get a new jar of power bait. make cat fish balls with the old stuff.
I got plenty of new stuff, just wanted some ideas for the other stuff. For catfish, I only use live baitfish or occasionally cut-bait though. Good idea, but not likely to take any monsters....the bigger ones are probably 99% predatory from my experiences

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store