Red Cherry Shrimp

Pschorr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2015
USA
I have a 20 gallon long tank exclusively for red cherry shrimp. These are some very hardy shrimp. I don't test or condition my water and they do just fine. They're way more active in warmer water (around 78-80 degrees F). I started this tank about 3 months with 15 shrimp and now I have 40-50 shrimp total. All of the shrimp were under 3/4" when I got them and now some of them are about an inch. As with most aquatic life, consistency is key. If you keep their water consistently warm and clean, your shrimp will breed prolifically. As to using them for fish food, I've never tried it. I'm growing them up to put in my other tanks to clean algae.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
i keep cherry shrimp in my fry tank, i dont breed loads of fish and select what im going to keep, the shrimp dont seem to bother the fry (30g tank) but them and bristle nose fry keep the tank pretty clean and eat all the waste food. when i get to many i either sell them on or feed em to the larger fish. so far no problem in a bear tank with a few potted plants and algae balls.

ApexMonstah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Boston, MA
cherry shrimps are hardy and actually prefer around PH 7.0+-7.6, although can go from a wide range such as 6.5+. They breed faster in cooler temps, dwarf shrimps in general tend to breed better at low 70's. Takes about average 3-4 weeks for eggs to hatch depending on the temperature, it can be faster. They feed on algae, having biofilm is great for them, although shrimp pellets / algae wafers are good supplements. Stay away from heavy copper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store