Red Severum Breeding Question

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
I have a mated pair of Red Severums by themselves in a 90 gallon tank.Male is about 7 inches,female about 5 inches.They just laid eggs a couple of days ago for the third time.Other two times they ate the eggs.This time they didn't eat the eggs but all the eggs turned to fungus.Its almost as if they ate all the good eggs and left the ones with fungus on them.Just the opposite of what they should be doing.Did they turn to fungus because of hard water?Or is it because the male didn't fertilize them good enough?I have read it takes a lot of tries before they get it right.Should I get something to soften the water?Or could it be the male is infertile.Or should I just be patient,they'll get it right eventually?

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
So there's a good chance my male is infertile.He's in my avatar.He was sold to me as a Red Spotted Severum.The female was sold to me as a Red Severum.Have had them both for about 2 months.I was so hoping to get some fry from these 2.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
So there's a good chance my male is infertile.He's in my avatar.He was sold to me as a Red Spotted Severum.The female was sold to me as a Red Severum.Have had them both for about 2 months.I was so hoping to get some fry from these 2.
Yea- i was going crazy with my pair for a while until i stumbled on thread about it... search red severum and click subject only there is some good info you can find on here

catm10319

Feeder Fish
Nov 12, 2015
I have a pair of reds that have breed several times. They have a bad habit of either eating their eggs or their fry. I have managed to save 2 clutches of fry which I am currently growing out. One group is about 1 1/2" and they look like golds. Does anyone know when they get their red coloring? Does a pair of Reds produce red fry or do they revert back to gold?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store