Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Redtail Catfish NOT eating??????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by dorothy_9, Feb 6, 2011.

1. dorothy_9

dorothy_9 MFK Members

dorothy
      Feb 15, 2012
      Hi everyone i was just wondering if you could help me my redtail catfish is not eating. we have tested the water the nitrite, nitrate are zero, ammonia is zero put the ph is a bit low. We have been doing regular water changes and been putting in ph stabilisher but its not working.
      He is in a 6ft tank at mo put building a pond for him. He is 22 inchs long and he normally eats sprats but hes not interested at all hes swimming round as normal but not interested in food at all any answers would be appreciated thanks dot.

2. jerzyperson

jerzyperson MFK Members

Feb 22, 2015
      could be stress, when a fish gets too big for a tank, they get stressed, and it happens often. i would say if you could get the pond done sooner, he needs more space. thats just my 2 cents.

3. spadoc79

spadoc79 MFK Members

Jun 23, 2015
      i agree probably stress..if its a 6 ft tank its probably a 100 or 125 gallon and they are ussually 18" front to back and him being 22" he wont beable to move around freely and will stress big time...you should get him moved to something bigger real soon

4. purplecandle

purplecandle MFK Members

Dec 2, 2014
      Is this a heavily planted tank? I am surprised at 0 nitrates.

Are you using a liquid test kit?

5. dorothy_9

dorothy_9 MFK Members

dorothy
      Feb 15, 2012
      Thanks people we are trying to get the pond done asap and we have no plants in he tank and yes we are using liquid test kit.

6. philfreenode

philfreenode MFK Members

Jul 28, 2014
      i don't believe your 0 nitrate reading either

if this is the API kit you need to shake bottle 2 really hard, slam it on the table a few times, because the actual agents that do the test like to solidify inside there, and you need to get it back into suspension before running the test

7. mshill90

mshill90 MFK Members

Melissa
      Dec 5, 2011
      To raise the PH, I always use baking soda- its cheaper, and seems to work better IMO.

As for him not eating, it could be that he is simply tired of the same foods.

I have a RTxTSN and he stopped eating, and I couldn't figure out what the issue was because he wouldn't eat anything... massive, shrimp, fish.. nothing.

I dropped in some shrimp pellets one day, and he's been hooked. Always at the top of the tank when it's time for food.

8. dorothy_9

dorothy_9 MFK Members

dorothy
      Feb 15, 2012
      Thanks for the advice on trying him with different food. We have tryed him with rainb ow trout cause he likes that he ate 1 piece and since then he wont ahve anything but we are doing his pond asap now so we can get him there as quick as we can.

9. dorothy_9

dorothy_9 MFK Members

dorothy
      Feb 15, 2012
      Hi everyone thanks for the advice i have got him eating again and he is a lot better thankyou. Me and my husband have now started the pond. We will put up pics soon.

10. tanteannie

tanteannie New Member

Dec 7, 2013
      What was the reason he wasn't eating?