Reed Fish

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
I have had one for 3 years now super cool fish. Easy to keep. I keep many odd ball fish an have never had a problem with the reed or one tring to eat him.They like to hide but will also swim at the front of the tank. Great fish I have him in a 55gal an he is about perfect size for that tank. He also likes to school my Bichirs

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
Hi All,
Well I finally got 2 Reed Fish yesterday. One about 30 cm and another about 2/3 of that size.

The smaller one is constantly swimming around. In between the plants, along the bottom of the tank etc.
The bigger one though is hiding most of the time. Every now and then he makess a mad dash to the surface of the water, and then quicky dashes back to its hiding place. Its swimming seems very clumsy.

Is this sort of behaviour normal?

Thanks
Yoda1

OddBallKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
Oh Sure Im a Paddy :D
I had 1 in a 55 and he was fine i fed him hame worms pellets bloodworms everything he was in with Oscars,Geophagus Brasiliensis,Synodontis and a load more Great Fish
R.I.P Piy My Best Eel Evar :'(

RedDwarf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Where the Sun is Warm
The reed/rope fish I have keep seem to display the same type of behavior, the smaller ones are almost always swimming around the tank and the larger ones seem much lazier unless they are looking for food. I think the funny swimming is because as they get larger there is more bulk for them to move through the water so they sort of wobble as they swim. Just makes them more fun to watch.

JamesF

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Thunder Bay
They're one of the few fish I can think of that can appear simultaneously graceful and clumsy in their swimming. O wouldn't be concerned unless it appears to have balance issues. The dash to the surface and back down is normal breathing behaviour for both ropes and bichirs.
I've never experienced any problems with ropes eating anything offered. Frozen, live, pellets, they take it all. Ghost shrimp are great fun to feed.
My three are currently in with bichirs, synodontis cats, and two species of cichlids (nanochromis parilus and buffaloheads). The smallest is just over an inch, and there are no issues.

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
RedDwarf & JamesF,

Thanks for the info. I have never had these fish before so I was a bit concerned. I thought that maybe the larger one had been hurt while being caught.

Thanks
yoda1

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
A 30 gallon would be good enough. You can house several of them. The max length ofthe rope/reed fish is usully mislabel as 30 INCHES when REAL the max length of them is 30 CENTAMETRES/12 INCHES. Remember this people.

Yoda1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2010
UK
When I got my Reeds a few weeks ago, the lfs told me they were feeding them Tetra Prima. I have some Angels in the same tank that I feed Prima to, but the Reeds won't touch it.
I then tried some freeze dried river shrimp - won't touch it
Beef Heart (that I feed to the Angels) - won't touch it
Frozen cockles - won't touch it.
Sinking catfish pellets - won't touch it.

The only thing they go mad for is frozen blood worm.
Is it ok if the Reeds only eat the frozen blood worm? Is there something else I should try and introduce into their diet?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store