Reef Octopus NS80

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Purchased one of these last saturday and I am not sure how I feel about it yet I'm looking for other peoples experience with them. So far all I have gotten it to do is bubble and not creat foam. Well shouldn't say it hasn't created foam I briefly had foam for around 5 minutes and that was it. Also this is constantly overflowing with the collection cup. I've been toying with the valve to find that perfect spot and no matter how low I have it set it still seems to overflow at some point. So any help or experience with this problem or skimmer would be great. I am thinking about returning this product in a week if it doesn't get its act together. Also I am new to saltwater so there could possibly be user error here.

dallen2233

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2015
Texas
well did you allow for the break in period where it builds the cone? I think you have your bubbles set too high if its overflowing . I would set the bubbles to be at the bottom of the cone where it meets the collection cup while adjusting it periodically to maintain that level. Eventually you'll start to get a build of foam in a couple of days.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I don't have the same one as you, but do have an HOB reef octopus. I ran into some similar issues. What it ended up being, was the need for a break in period. It wasn't making bubbles so I turned it up really high and it over flowed. Once I let it break it, it works really well now. Set it low give it 2 weeks and slowly adjust it to be higher if needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store