Refilling the Tanks for 2024

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
DJ I personally love my little marine tank. While not dedicated solely to zoas they are well represented. With marine comes a new set of problems but once resolved there is a real sense of accomplishment. My salt has been up and running for a few years now and has reached a balance that makes maintenance fairly easy.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I have found when I got board I started breeding. Changing species every 6 months to a year. Started checking off cichlids. It really kept things interesting.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Few years back I had big fish. Dats, Pbass, giant gourami oscars etc. It was fun and entertaining but constant work. When the tank had a mishap and a filter piped dislodged from a pump on a short vacation trip. I came back to a tank with half the fish dead. The saddest was a 3 bar dat I grew from a little guy to over a foot. I lost a lot of oomph at that point.
Scaled down everything to a single 75gal with small fish and plants. It was relaxing and fun. Over a year or 2 of playing garden-garden, I got back into it but got rid of all the big tanks.

Now I have small fish and enjoy the hobby more. As soon as it becomes a chore. I take a month or so off. My tanks are all over filtered. So besides a daily feed. There is essentially very little to do. Once I feel it again, I am elbow deep in water playing.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
That is the worst part of keeping Amps. You have them for so long and I know for me when I loose 1 it makes me question this hobby. I've tried the small fish and it definitely doesn't have the same effect when I lose one or some, but I always miss the personality of the big guys.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
My participation in the hobby (as far as owning fish as opposed to participating in forums) has waned over the last 7 years. I had 7 full-time tanks and the odd utility tank prior to 2017.

I moved to the Jersey shore in 2017 and did not add fish while preparing for selling the house and moving the tanks. In 2017 I filled only the 3 big tanks and for a while struggled with filters that all gave up at once and the lack of good replacements on the market.

Then COVID happened and my local club/auction fell apart so no annual group buy.

I have been pondering which path to take next...shut down the remaining tanks or restock. I am going to restock when it warms up enough for shipping. I am NOT going new world like some do after a time with Africans.

Have you ever lost enthusiasm and what path did YOU take? :goldfish:
I moved to a new state October of 22 and prior I had 10 tanks from 55-180g. When I moved I sold everything and when I started back up, i didn’t have the same enthusiasm, so I just set up two 75s, one new world and one rift. But my love for reptiles had been creeping back up. I love my Malawi tank but was pretty bored with my new world tank. So I sold it and bought a tanimbar BTS. I’d been pretty happy with having a nano reef, a Malawi tank and several reptiles. Then I had a death in the family that put me in a pretty bad funk and my wife suggested I get a little more back into fish keeping and maybe do another aquarium project. So I did a ton of research into tangs and that seemed to reignite my passion for fish keeping and I just recently set up a 55 and have a group of tangs coming Friday. Now my only concern is that having a tang and Malawi might make fish collection seem incomplete without a Victorian tank lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store