rock decor question

PJ1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2016
CT
so im trying to find a large rock setup for my 180g im planning on taking out my 2 pc pirate ship and moving that to 75 so i want to find a large rock setup with good hiding spots for BGK bichir eel harlequin shark and the other usuals who enjoy lurking in nooks. anyone got a good suggestion or link to something they seen for some natural looking rocks that would make great hiding spots?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

PJ1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2016
CT
I was looking building something myself out of slate but im not sure that's quite what I want. A bunch of odd size and shape hiding spots is the goal

PJ1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2016
CT
Yuki Rihwa Yuki Rihwa True anything specific to look out for on the types of rock besides chemicals or coating that would make them not aquarium friendly?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Here are few that popped in my mind: Coal, Dolomite, Limestone/Sandstone (these stones will effect your water PH and parameter use those if you want to alter your water PH), pyrite, and any type of rocks that content zinc, copper, iron.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Now is a good time to collect your own rocks, some rivers and lakes will have lower levels exposing a lot.I collect all the time.wash/scrub them good

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I would use large cobblestone rocks like this...

I used them in some of my old cichlid tanks...

Distilled white vinegar can be used to determine if a rock is safe. put a few drops on the rock, wait a couple of seconds and watch for bubbles. If bubbles are seen, then the rock is NOT safe. After determining if the rocks are safe then boil them for an hour to kill any fungus, parasites, etc... Then use them in the tank!

Reactions: fishfanatic80
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store