rookie gar keeper

resimodos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
Maine
Hi fellow fishkeepers. first just wanted to say thanks for the site and members who have provided me much info. ive been keeping fish my whole life ( mainly SA cichlids) but recently purchased a baby "spotted gar". when it gets a little bigger ill ask you guys to identify it, could be a florida gar from what i gather but im no pro. he is about 4 inches and i house him with a 6 inch lima shovelnose. im trying to powerfeed him so i can move him along with the lima into a bigger tank which houses an 8 inch oscar, 5inch pleco, 4 inch jaguar cichlid. my oscar isnt really mean but he is an aggressive eater and big. my gar has been eating like a pig right since i got him, but i have only been able to feed him frozen bloodworms. i dont know how all gars act, but mine is lazy as hell and floats around the top and waits for food to come near, so if the food sinks he wont go for it. im worried that once my gar catches up in size and i throw him in with the oscar, that he wont be able to compete with the oscar to get food, cause you know oscars they eat anything and everything. so far my lima and gar seem to make a great duo and live great together, just worried about adding cichlids to the mix. i would love to here any experiences and advice especially concerning food types and techniques for juvenile gar feeding, tankmates with lima, cichlids(oscar,jaguar), plecos, normal gar behavior. Gars are definitely an amazing and interesting fish, im excited to have one. im new to the site and a rookie when it comes to gars so any info would be great

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Try feeding it small pieces of frozen food with feeding tongs until it gets more aggressive at eating I cut up tilapia fillets into small strips and hold it with the tongs. The gar will attack it. Don't worry the gar will keep up with the Oscar one day

Reactions: resimodos

resimodos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
Maine
Try feeding it small pieces of frozen food with feeding tongs until it gets more aggressive at eating I cut up tilapia fillets into small strips and hold it with the tongs. The gar will attack it. Don't worry the gar will keep up with the Oscar one day
Thanks, I started tweezer feeding him and he will pretty much eat any kind of frozen food. It's going good, He eats like a pig!

resimodos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
Maine
14536553070111071332418.jpg 1453655401189-1067856934.jpg
Here these might be clearer. ****, I had specifically asked for a Florida or a spotted. Wasn't expecting a behemoth. Thing eats like a horse. So, gator?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store