Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Royal Pleco HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Plecos' started by Myotis, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Myotis

Myotis New Member

Jun 25, 2010
      Hi,

My royal pleco has a sunken stomach and eyes. I tried to tempt him with a cooked shrimp yesterday and he wasn't interested. Today I did a 50% water change and found that he isn't swimming well at all (i never noticed because he was stuck to the glass normally, a little higher than usual). It looks like his tail might have a bit of fungal growth. I know the water quality was a contributing factor, but what else can I do now to fix it!?!? The tank is ~70 gallons.

-worried

2. FishingOut

FishingOut MFK Members

Feb 25, 2015
      Sounds like poor diet mixes with poor water quality. Dont cook your fishes foods. Or at least give im some cocktail sauce :D
      First you will need to test your water, Probably signs of ammonia.
      We need pictures and water tests to answer your question accuratly. For now give him some raw green squash to munch on. Royal plecs need prestine water conditions to survive. Not nearly as hardy as commons.

3. zerojquan85

zerojquan85 MFK Members

Jan 17, 2014
      Although it could be too late.. its not completely over..

I was able to successfully rescue my own Plecos from near starvation.. and it wasn't due to poor diet..

Sunken stomach can be caused by several factors...

Poor diet is number one..
      Aggression from tank mates resulting in stress can be another...
      Bacteria and parasite disease can also lead to stress and starvation

At the moment.. since you have a Royal pleco.. My best advice is to get cucumber and zucchini and put the pleco on TOP of the cut veggie.. only then will it actually want to eat..

The fact its.. plecos will eat.. its just they dont have the energy to swim around and find food when their belly are sunken in..

I would put 2-3 zucchini in the water sliced in half NOT slice piece.. put the whole thing in there and put the pleco on top of it..

If it wants to eat.. it will.. if not.. you can't stop its death..:(

4. Terri1987

Terri1987 MFK Members

Jul 18, 2010
      Put soft wood in there as well as zucchini for it to eat.

5. knifegill

knifegill MFK Members

Jun 28, 2015
      Yes, soft wood. Untreated hemlock lumber is perfect. Just get some free from a lumber yard or construction site and boil the heck out of a chunk. Make sure it's not an evergreen/conifer, these are toxic. Without wood, they will starve no matter what else you feed them. And mopani/bog log is not enough. They cannot chew up enough to make a meal. Avoid meaty foods for a few weeks while his digestive flora are reorganizing. Now is a great time for bloat to set in, so wood and veggies only. I second the physical placing of the pleco onto its food.

Do you have a pic of its tail?

6. Mr Pleco

Mr Pleco MFK Members

Yesterday at 8:17 AM
      Get your water quality under wraps!

Water changes, filteration , test water..add a raw Yam or raw carrot their woody , pretty fiberous, don't get mushy right away.. (carrots are nice since they sink on their own)

treat with tank w/ praziquantel follow package recomendations.
      Hikari makes a good product..This I do for every Royal I bring home.........

lets see pic of tail?

7. Crispy

Crispy MFK Members

Apr 15, 2015
      All good advice up there. You definitely have to get it eating veggies and wood because they have a 'certain' bacteria in their stomachs to be able to digest wood properly. Soft wood is best as stated and well established wood with some 'biofilm' would be great also. This sounds like a newly aquired plec? Some can be saved, many can't. Best of luck with your royal.