RTC hybrid? black and white

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Just left the LFS, where they had a few baby fish they had labeled as RTC x Colombian catfish, which I've never heard of. I googled the name in every variation I could think of and found nothing.

They Look almost exactly like RTC's, but no red at all, just mostly pitch black with a horizontal white stripe. They look nothing like Colombian Catfish. Anyone have any ideas as to what this hybrid is? Very very cool looking fish, would just like to know more.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
yeah i'll go back tomorrow and get a pic. regardless of what I find out I'm not sure I'll be able to stop thinking about this thing until it's in my tank!

Reactions: Wailua Boy

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
Went back to the LFS and this time got a closer look because they weren't hiding. They look more like pure RTC than the first time I saw them but the owner (who's been in the business for 20 years but still thinks RTC's rarely exceed 2 feet - not exactly reliable) swears that the breeder/distributor swears its a RTC x Colombian cat. I think it's just an RTC. Couldn't get a great pic but here's the best I could do for now.

PS - I brought him home, so RTC or hybrid, basement pond here I come!

rtc 1.jpeg rtc 2.jpeg rtc 3.jpeg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I don't see anything that would distinguish this fish from a conventional baby RTC.

I'd suppose like the vast majority of LFS owners, the owner does not have either time or desire to ID his fish. It is far easier and effortless to go by what they were called on the exporter's list. And provides an easy out, a stone wall, when challenged.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store