Running filter during water changes

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
I shut mine down during every water change...I can do them pretty quick. If I am going to have them off for an extended amount of time I will stick the media in a bucket of tank water.

Reactions: boldtogether

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I should have clarified, I don't clean every hob at each water change. Since I run multiple filters on each tank along with the canisters, I alternate the cleaning of them. For instance, on one tank, one week I'll clean one of the hobs media, the next week I'll cleAn the other hobs media.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I don't any issues with these HoB filters, I used at least 2 of them per tank and will only clean 1 filter per week to keep them at almost perfect working condition, also emperor 400 using 4 mechanical pre-filter pads so I i just need to clean the first set (or swap it out), no debris whatsoever enter my tank during maintenance or water change....

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I always switch off the filters if there isn't water running through them, I see it from the point of view that it needs water to lubricate, maintain a lower temperature in the motor, etc; I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also yeah I don't clean filters every change, if I had to; I'd lower my stock before upping cleaning.

Totally agree on the ocd point as well, in this hobby you have to be able to get your hands dirty, unless you have your own maintenance person which I'm guessing 99% of people on here don't. I find it oddly therapeutic to get stuck in and clean the filters etc anyway haha, wash hands afterwards anyway

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have always turned off my filters when doing water changes.I thought leaving the filters running with no water in them would burn out the motor or the impeller.
I also clean out my filters with every water change....well I try to anyway.I don't worry about bacteria loss as I suspect that there is enough of a population on the various surfaces inside of the tank that does not die off.

Reactions: boldtogether

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have always turned off my filters when doing water changes.I thought leaving the filters running with no water in them would burn out the motor or the impeller.
I also clean out my filters with every water change....well I try to anyway.I don't worry about bacteria loss as I suspect that there is enough of a population on the various surfaces inside of the tank that does not die off.
I find that hob always have enough water in the impeller cavity after suction loss, so lubrication isn't loss.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I find that hob always have enough water in the impeller cavity after suction loss, so lubrication isn't loss.
Intetesting,I saw that in an earlier post.I'll keep it in mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store