Running k1 without air?

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
good to know thanks everyone. I tried a wavemaker type that is generally used with reefs had issues they found there way in the impellers so I tried a little pond pump works ok but my two other tanks that run off of air boil a lot nicer. thinking of making like a cage for the wavemaker to see what this does . hey kevin what were your issues with the AP 100 ? I have 2 jemco diaphragm type pumps no issues oldest is probably 2yrs

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
john C john C

Here is my story when someone asked me about what type of pump and recommendations, I know some people run them and they do ok but still Pondmaster said they should go three years without needing to be touched and i have never seen anyone get one to last even a year.

I would recommend getting a Linear Piston air pump. NOT! one of those Pondmaster (Ap 100) pumps, they are junk!!!!! Customer service wont even try to help you with your setup or explain what possibly you can do to make your pump last longer pressure wise or anything. I got one and it lasted 10 months and that was with 2 diaphragm kits one at about 4 months old and the other at about 9 months old and different adjustments to try to get it working well to last longer as they said it should, finally they sent a new one to me as the old one just burned up and would not run at all, second one lasted longer and only needed one diaphragm at about 9 months but then again after about 13 months again stopped working and with the new pump I changed my piping and everything to try and make it last longer which it did a little, The pump shaved the internals down and sent metal shavings all through my tank, thank goodness I run a drip or it would have killed everything. I was told it probably can be rebuilt and ran again (want it ill send it for a good price) and I have 2 or 3 rebuild kits but that's just stupid if a pump cant even last a year without service and then has a problem to the point of eating its own metal components and sending them into your tank, I talked to them after the first one broke and they said that i should see three years without issue or needing a new diaphragm, well not even close is the results I got with two different pumps, Ap 100s, I asked about how I could set it up better and they said they didn't know and couldn't advise me at all. Seems odd for a company to make a product and then they cant help you set it up or advise you about a problem and make it better. Just seemed so stupid that they don't have anyone to help you with any questions about pressure or back pressure or pipe sizing or anything to help it run as needed.

if you do get a diaphragm pump don't buy a pond master and try one from Jehmco, they will at least help you and give you recommendations and what to make your pump last and yoursetup work as you want it to. And they actually help people did I mention that.

Myself I gave up and am running a water pump that has caused my 0 problems and just keeps going without any issues, if I did buy an air pump again I would get a piston air pump from jehmco or Kens fish but probably jehmco just so I can get help on how to run the pump and make it last as long as possible, they say they are willing to help with setup and advice to make it work the best for you which is awesome!. This is my story and im glad im done with that stupid air pump from Pond Master I would never recommend anyone to buy one, yes the price looks good but that's about it. After all my money and time and such I think one of the piston pumps would have lasted me a lot longer and been the same price or cheaper.

good to know thanks everyone. I tried a wavemaker type that is generally used with reefs had issues they found there way in the impellers so I tried a little pond pump works ok but my two other tanks that run off of air boil a lot nicer. thinking of making like a cage for the wavemaker to see what this does . hey kevin what were your issues with the AP 100 ? I have 2 jemco diaphragm type pumps no issues oldest is probably 2yrs

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
john C john C

Here is my story when someone asked me about what type of pump and recommendations, I know some people run them and they do ok but still Pondmaster said they should go three years without needing to be touched and i have never seen anyone get one to last even a year.

I would recommend getting a Linear Piston air pump. NOT! one of those Pondmaster (Ap 100) pumps, they are junk!!!!! Customer service wont even try to help you with your setup or explain what possibly you can do to make your pump last longer pressure wise or anything. I got one and it lasted 10 months and that was with 2 diaphragm kits one at about 4 months old and the other at about 9 months old and different adjustments to try to get it working well to last longer as they said it should, finally they sent a new one to me as the old one just burned up and would not run at all, second one lasted longer and only needed one diaphragm at about 9 months but then again after about 13 months again stopped working and with the new pump I changed my piping and everything to try and make it last longer which it did a little, The pump shaved the internals down and sent metal shavings all through my tank, thank goodness I run a drip or it would have killed everything. I was told it probably can be rebuilt and ran again (want it ill send it for a good price) and I have 2 or 3 rebuild kits but that's just stupid if a pump cant even last a year without service and then has a problem to the point of eating its own metal components and sending them into your tank, I talked to them after the first one broke and they said that i should see three years without issue or needing a new diaphragm, well not even close is the results I got with two different pumps, Ap 100s, I asked about how I could set it up better and they said they didn't know and couldn't advise me at all. Seems odd for a company to make a product and then they cant help you set it up or advise you about a problem and make it better. Just seemed so stupid that they don't have anyone to help you with any questions about pressure or back pressure or pipe sizing or anything to help it run as needed.

if you do get a diaphragm pump don't buy a pond master and try one from Jehmco, they will at least help you and give you recommendations and what to make your pump last and yoursetup work as you want it to. And they actually help people did I mention that.

Myself I gave up and am running a water pump that has caused my 0 problems and just keeps going without any issues, if I did buy an air pump again I would get a piston air pump from jehmco or Kens fish but probably jehmco just so I can get help on how to run the pump and make it last as long as possible, they say they are willing to help with setup and advice to make it work the best for you which is awesome!. This is my story and im glad im done with that stupid air pump from Pond Master I would never recommend anyone to buy one, yes the price looks good but that's about it. After all my money and time and such I think one of the piston pumps would have lasted me a lot longer and been the same price or cheaper.
How do you size your water pump to mix the K1?

Reactions: Woefulrelic

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Mixing is all about placement of the discharge of the pump. Straight up won't work unless you place the pump directly in the middle of the chamber. I would try firing the flow into a wall of the chamber or on the floor of the chamber and bouncing the flow off a wall. From what I understand, you don't want a cyclonic motion....it should be random and turbulent...so try shooting the flow into a corner...
Play around with it...maybe get a split type Loc-line with an eductor...

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
I have not had time to really mess with my water pumps position but I did take a pvc T and a coupled 90's ill mess around with it this weekend to see what I like. Kevin I have never tried pond master I thought watts were a little high compared to some others. If I go back to air im sure ill do Jehmco again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store