Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

S.A. cichlid aggresion

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by kroxabp, Apr 11, 2012.

1. kroxabp

kroxabp MFK Members

Apr 11, 2015
      hey anyone i need some help in lowering oscar and jaguar aggression in the tank are there any good step and methods i can use in making them more calm(some quick info: they dont seem to do much damage to eachother just some occasional chasing, charging, and aggressive gill displays very rare light lip lock then go on about there time)

3 oscars
      1 jag
      random others

2. TheHolyArachnid

TheHolyArachnid MFK Members

Spider Enthusiast
      May 16, 2013
      lower the water temp/.

feed more often, but smaller amounts.

what size tank are they in?

3. kroxabp

kroxabp MFK Members

Apr 11, 2015
      they are in a 115g this stage in life biggest oscar in about 8in the rest between 5.5in and 7in the jag is the smallest but trys 2 rule everyone but my two big tiger keep him in check in a way the jag is the main aggressor but dont want to get rid of him

4. TheHolyArachnid

TheHolyArachnid MFK Members

Spider Enthusiast
      May 16, 2013
      of her more like.

115g is very small for that group of cichlids. You need a minimum of 150g for those three cichlids.

5. Tayler

Tayler MFK Members

Aug 5, 2014
      Get a bigger tank or target fish, but an aggressive fish will always be aggressive.

6. TahoeFish

TahoeFish MFK Members

Oct 10, 2014
      I think people will want to know the size of these fish and the tank size. Having lurked here for awhile, my hunch is that there is a species compatibility problem. Jags are very aggressive. I'm sure more folks with Jags will comment.

7. JasonGoneFishing

JasonGoneFishing MFK Members

Today at 12:54 PM
      You are going to have this problem no matter what size tank you have, this is just how these types of fish are. Even if they were in a 1000 gallon aquarium, you will still have fish that try to rule the tank. Im not saying all South/Central Americans will do this but a large majority will. The best way to do this, is to have a lot of fish around, not just a select few. This works for me about 80% of the time. You may just have a problem fish and need to trade him in for another till you find one that is more socialable. I went thru 4 blackbelts before I got the one I have now, this one is very calm. Almost all of them thou have their spats here and there which is typical.

8. oscarkid99

oscarkid99 MFK Members

Jul 19, 2012
      I have kept oscars in all different sized tanks. the best way to lower aggression is to lower the current temperature by 2degrees farenheit. it sounds wierd but it works!

9. kroxabp

kroxabp MFK Members

Apr 11, 2015
      thanx @masterb that was well put 4 me from my tanks i had in the past i did notice the more i stocked them the more distractions it provides

10. kroxabp

kroxabp MFK Members

Apr 11, 2015
      any ideas of what types of schooling fish i can use with these guys... i think a school of something would benefit because they dnt really bother the randoms(catfishes, S.bichir etc..) and would add some movement.. what will get big enough in a school???
      i heard other types of schooling cichlids can do even tough red jewels>> thanx all your help