Saltwater feeder fish

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
So...hear me out here people. Damselfish (Chrysiptera mainly), spawn easily, and according to MOFIB, tend to be relatively middling to raise (something along the lines of dottyback raising). They also produce a crap ton of eggs every spawn, every 7 days. So...using as cheap of a method as possible to get as many post-meta juvies as possible, it's very hard to sell damsels for a profit. Mainly due to their still "cheap" prices. However, what about selling damsels as feeder fish? From looking at one of the stickies in the "large and aggressive" RC forum, it seems that reef fish (like damsels) are less fatty option foods for larger fish (like groupers) instead of pelagic fish that wouldn't normally be found in a reef (like silversides).
Obviously there's the culls in any batch that can be feeder fish, but with large fish, 10 to 20 culls per spawn can either be way too much, or way too little.

So, what are y'alls thoughts about this? Do you think there's a large enough interest in providing more suitable live saltwater foods to attempt this? What other fish would make good saltwater feeder fish

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
TBH I would probably would say on a personal level of breeding them yourself if it would be rewarding I say go for it, but some fish farms are probably already breeding them in mass quantities. The experience could possibly lead you into maybe breeding clown fish.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store