Saltwater Filtration

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This all sounds way more complicated then setting up a large fresh water tank. I might just do another fresh water instead, for money reasons. Thank you all for your input.

I raised Catsharks, had Seahorses which spawned for me, and I didn't have the resources like the internet. So if I could do it I have no doubt you can. I totally agree with everyone 's post as far as research and sumps can be purchased, and they may include the protein skimmer. If you start off with fish only you should be fine, leave the reef inhabitants a lone such as Corals until one day you feel the challenge. My suggestion is if you decide to do Saltwater start off with the hardy species that would fit your aquarium size.

Reactions: DN328

EChambers89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2015
Well the only reason I wanted to do saltwater in the first place is because my wife really wants a puffer fish. I know there are freshwater puffers, but the one she wants is the dog face puffer.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well the only reason I wanted to do saltwater in the first place is because my wife really wants a puffer fish. I know there are freshwater puffers, but the one she wants is the dog face puffer.

Never kept any marine puffers, but they are hardy but they can be aggressive so choose the right tankmates or keep alone. Happy to notice that your still interested in doing a Saltwater setup.:)

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
My hubby wants a Marine tank so I'm reading as much on the topic as I can and quite frankly I'm nowhere near ready for that challenge so I told him his gonna have to hold onto that idea for a while

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My hubby wants a Marine tank so I'm reading as much on the topic as I can and quite frankly I'm nowhere near ready for that challenge so I told him his gonna have to hold onto that idea for a while

The most challenging imo is reef setups, which I suggest you never do blindly. Saltwater fish keeping is no different than freshwater with the exception of the price and making sure to measure your salinity levels from evaporation. Fish only setups same principle as fresh some species are hardy, and others are for the more advanced hobbyist. The rule also applies to aquarium size for species for example I don't know if you can still aquire Nurse Shark pups, but if you don't have a 10,000 gallon aquarium don't buy it, freshwater example would be the Arapaima the largest freshwater fish in the world leave be unless unless you can properly house either one. I encourage you to try ,like I stated in my earlier post if I could keep Saltwater fish alive without the resources of the Internet why couldn't you. :)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Setup up a fish only saltwater tank is not hard, it's sound complicated and overwhelm with equipment/information but it's easy like freshwater setup...the only thing different is now your freshwater content salt LOL. Once your saltwater tank "mature" you don't have to do much maintenance like freshwater. Also, setup a new reef system is not hard either, it's just a long time process before you can have a nice dream reef system (normally will take 6 months to a year). Saltwater is all about patient and time cause any impulse buying will waste money and fail along with frustration then quit. Anyway, saltwater tank is well reward once you completed it and look way better than freshwater, it's like you used to drive an old Korean Car then move up and own a BMW :)

Reactions: tlindsey

EChambers89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2015
Well the plan was to have the puffer by itself and no live corals or plants, all artificial, except whatever it needs to keep its beak trimmed. And my only concerns are the filtration needs, since ive never done a saltwater tank. And after putting the tank dimensions into a calculator, its looking to be 180 gallons, not 200. Will that be big enough for this puffer? If not i can always build a bigger tank lol

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well the plan was to have the puffer by itself and no live corals or plants, all artificial, except whatever it needs to keep its beak trimmed. And my only concerns are the filtration needs, since ive never done a saltwater tank. And after putting the tank dimensions into a calculator, its looking to be 180 gallons, not 200. Will that be big enough for this puffer? If not i can always build a bigger tank lol

Yes that's enough room for the Dog Face.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store