Scales over angel's gill going going gone....

Deformity or disease

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
Moving slowly, I can't tell u when I first noticed this. My tank is barely 2 months old. He was a sm fellow has grow a lot. It may look like its growing because he is getting bigger himself. I used API Furan 2 (for Gill disease) The fishes Gill doesn't look larger than it should be for redder than it should be. But I am no expert just a beginner. The medication did a number on my tank levels and almost killed my brown ghost knife fish . But that is neither here nor there, there is no flukes on it and I even put some parasite drops into the tank just in case. Maybe he was born like this and it was so small I did not notice , But if you have seen this on one of your own fish and it is a disease please let me know. Let me know what you think it is and ask any questions. After the medication my levels were 1.0 ppm for ammonia, 80 Ppm for nitrates, 6.0 for pH : before medication and my levels were .25 ppm nitrates, zero ppm ammonia, 7.0 pH. It's taken me a week but my current levels are .0 nitrates ,.50 ppm ammonia, 6.4 ph . If someone could help let me know how to get my levels right again I'm not worried about the pH because my knife fish like the acidity and my other fish don't mind. I was doing 15% daily water changes to bring my levels to where I've gotten them. I have decided to wait a week before doing another water change to see if the tank can get itself together. image.jpg

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Moving slowly, I can't tell u when I first noticed this. My tank is barely 2 months old. He was a sm fellow has grow a lot. It may look like its growing because he is getting bigger himself. I used API Furan 2 (for Gill disease) The fishes Gill doesn't look larger than it should be for redder than it should be. But I am no expert just a beginner. The medication did a number on my tank levels and almost killed my brown ghost knife fish . But that is neither here nor there, there is no flukes on it and I even put some parasite drops into the tank just in case. Maybe he was born like this and it was so small I did not notice , But if you have seen this on one of your own fish and it is a disease please let me know. Let me know what you think it is and ask any questions. After the medication my levels were 1.0 ppm for ammonia, 80 Ppm for nitrates, 6.0 for pH : before medication and my levels were .25 ppm nitrates, zero ppm ammonia, 7.0 pH. It's taken me a week but my current levels are .0 nitrates ,.50 ppm ammonia, 6.4 ph . If someone could help let me know how to get my levels right again I'm not worried about the pH because my knife fish like the acidity and my other fish don't mind. I was doing 15% daily water changes to bring my levels to where I've gotten them. I have decided to wait a week before doing another water change to see if the tank can get itself together. View attachment 1133015
Stop adding medications immediately!!!
The problem you see IS NOT caused by any disease.
What you see is the direct result of the operculum (the gill cover which you referred to as his scales over the gills) having been litterally destroyed by excessive ammonia levels when the fish was very small (it usually happens in the first 10 to 15 days of life.
The meds you are adding have done considerable damage to your beneficial bacteria colonies, IN PARTICULAR!!! destroyed your bacteria which were converting nitrite to nitrate, as noted by your 0ppm nitrate levels (none is being created... not good).
Keep your ph where it is or even lower it SLOWLY (.2 per day) to 6.0 to cause NH3 (ammonia) to convert more readily to much less toxic NH4 (ammonium).
Add generous amounts of some bunch plants in the mean time... they will consume ammonium and nitrite far more efficiently than they can consume nitrate (which is 0ppm presently).
This will lessen the stress on your fish while your bacterial colonies rebuild.
Dose with Prime at 2 drops per gal and treat fresh added water (before placing in tank) likewise.
Keep a keen eye on your nitrites. Do partial water changes daily (no more than 50% with 25% preferred unless fish in immediate danger) until your Nitrite levels begin to stabilize (stop rising but not yet dropping) and your Nitrate levels start to come up.
Also keep your aquarium lights on for at least 9 or 10 hours daily so the plants can do their work.

Last edited:

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
Thank you, I put moneywort in yesterday. I didn't even do the whole med cycle bc my brown ghost got sick. Thankfully I have lost no fish! How did the nitrates drop from 80 ppm to o ppm so quick? 2 days at most. I took out moss and vac the gravel/sand. I'll keep posting on this matter. All other fish healthy active eating growing. Even this fella. i also got the bacteria colony and tablets in the net that you put in your filter. One thing I was doing I didn't realize it was so bad was when the filter would get gunky looking only after a couple of days I was rinsing it out in water so I was getting rid of all my good bacteria, like I said I'm a beginner. Lots to learn but it's only been Two months and I'm getting there. You'll learn quick when your babies are sick

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
Thank you, I put moneywort in yesterday. I didn't even do the whole med cycle bc my brown ghost got sick. Thankfully I have lost no fish! How did the nitrates drop from 80 ppm to o ppm so quick? 2 days at most. I took out moss and vac the gravel/sand. I'll keep posting on this matter. All other fish healthy active eating growing. Even this fella. i also got the bacteria colony and tablets in the net that you put in your filter. One thing I was doing I didn't realize it was so bad was when the filter would get gunky looking only after a couple of days I was rinsing it out in water so I was getting rid of all my good bacteria, like I said I'm a beginner. Lots to learn but it's only been Two months and I'm getting there. You'll learn quick when your babies are sick
Also am glad u assured me of daily water changes! Someone stopped me yesterday but everyday since Monday I've done 15-25%...@ least ur showing me I was on the right track. I'm surprised about the ammonia when he was a baby. The lfs that I use is impeccable and I would think they would get their angels from a good breeder.

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
Stop adding medications immediately!!!
The problem you see IS NOT caused by any disease.
What you see is the direct result of the operculum (the gill cover which you referred to as his scales over the gills) having been litterally destroyed by excessive ammonia levels when the fish was very small (it usually happens in the first 10 to 15 days of life.
The meds you are adding have done considerable damage to your beneficial bacteria colonies, IN PARTICULAR!!! destroyed your bacteria which were converting nitrite to nitrate, as noted by your 0ppm nitrate levels (none is being created... not good).
Keep your ph where it is or even lower it SLOWLY (.2 per day) to 6.0 to cause NH3 (ammonia) to convert more readily to much less toxic NH4 (ammonium).
Add generous amounts of some bunch plants in the mean time... they will consume ammonium and nitrite far more efficiently than they can consume nitrate (which is 0ppm presently).
This will lessen the stress on your fish while your bacterial colonies rebuild.
Dose with Prime at 2 drops per gal and treat fresh added water (before placing in tank) likewise.
Keep a keen eye on your nitrites. Do partial water changes daily (no more than 50% with 25% preferred unless fish in immediate danger) until your Nitrite levels begin to stabilize (stop rising but not yet dropping) and your Nitrate levels start to come up.
Also keep your aquarium lights on for at least 9 or 10 hours daily so the plants can do their work.
One more thing ....what is causing the cloadyness? U seem to know the chemical components of an aquarium, I was hoping you could tell me what Chemical compound is creating this

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
You'll learn quick when your babies are sick
You got that right!
I started way before the internet... I learned really quik too, but for a different reason...
I was 11 and didn't ask permission to get a fish tank.
I stumbled on a department store close-out special and jumped on it.
5 gallon burnished aluminum framed tank, matching stand and full matching hood, undergravel filter, corner filter, gravel and thermometer, all for $15.
I bought it and snuck it into the house and hid it under my bed and then asked for permission to get one.
The answer was "no" :(.
My mother didn't find it for 3 weeks, and in the mean time, all I could do was read every single book our town library had on fish keeping and aquaria.
That's a lot of reading too! About 9" of full sized books jam packed with information. Axelrod, Deagen, Schwartz, and many more who's names I've since forgotten, but quite honestly, what I learned in those 3 weeks, by only being able to read about the hobby, has saved me a ton of money and heartache. I missed all the horror stories we sometimes hear about.

What size is/are your tank(s)?

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
55g . I was never into fish. Always fuzzy critters. Until I started with this tank, I was hooked! My arms are always wet and hand smells like bloodworms... But they are the first pet that give me peace. Unless I'm afraid they're going to die ...my eyes are constantly on the tank,and I know their personalities like a mother in. And I know their personalities like a mother . I don't totally know how this site works but I wrote a little history about the fish that I have on one of my posts and I just started today if you want to look it up it's on my introduction done at 9ish am.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Also am glad u assured me of daily water changes! Someone stopped me yesterday but everyday since Monday I've done 15-25%...@ least ur showing me I was on the right track. I'm surprised about the ammonia when he was a baby. The lfs that I use is impeccable and I would think they would get their angels from a good breeder.
Correction...you thought they were.
Unfortunately, most LFS are to some extent, at the mercy of their providers. They continue to do business with those who have not "screwed them over" much, because if they have a fairly reliable source for stock, its hard to find a better one. Ammonia burns on the gill plates are unfortunately all too comon from breeders who are trying to raise as many young for sale as they can for that max $$$. The problem is that they have allowed too litle room for growth of the fry (and they can quadruple their weight in a matter of days!)... this also means they can quadruple their ammonia waste production just as fast and without sufficient bacteria or water changes (which can kill fry), the results are cumulative and can be catastrophic.
Sadly, you are now witness to this, and your angel victim to it. He'll never heal because there is no gill cover tissue present to keep pace with his growth. As he matures, it will be more and more difficult for him to breathe sufficiently. Do not overcrowd him, even in the slightest. His "lungs" can't take it.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
If it looks like r
One more thing ....what is causing the cloadyness? U seem to know the chemical components of an aquarium, I was hoping you could tell me what Chemical compound is creating this
If it looks like really faint milky (foggy) clouds swirling in your water (much like milk poured into coffee, but different colored of course )(the described effect, not the color)(and not readily noticeable if water highly agitated)... that my friend is ammonia which means you need to be very careful. If it hits 2 ppm do a 50% water change each and every time. Do not disturb gravel beds or anything else in the tank. Your bacteria is growing on it (hopefully) and that includes the glass. Dechlorinate first. Then add.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store