Scatophagus questions

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I'm starting to do a little research on these guys and so far they sound like a lot of fun. However I have some big questions that the answers will very much affect if I get them or not.

First off, some back story. I'm very much into CA/SA cichlids and wanted to try a amphilophus lyonsi pair for an upcoming 125 gallon tank. Often times with solo/duo wet pet cichlids I see dither fish, or a fish they can chase off but don't see as any real threat so it doesn't get picked on too hard. Silver dollars seemed like a solid choice but I'm not a particular fan of how plain they look. Then I came across these guys.

So questions:

A) Disregarding the water (the brackish part, which I'll ask about in a minute), do y'all think they could fill this roll as a tank mate for a pair of cichlids? Pretty hardy, won't get eaten and can swim fast enough?

B) How "brackish" do they need to be? I currently add alittle salt to my 55 when doing water changes (like 1 tablespoon for a 15 gallon change) but I'm sure that's not actually enough. If I was to want to keep both, is there a happy inbetween for them? Enough salt so it's not bad for a CA cichlid but enough where it's beneficial to a scat?

Anyways, sorry for being long winded! I'm sure I'll think of more questions but for now I'll look forward to y'all's responses. Thanks in advance!

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
A little update with a question. How much more reasonable would it be to get scats while they're young and then when they get bigger and need more brackish water, rehome them?

passon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
florida
I have had my spotted scat for about 1.5 years. Started the tank at 1.002sg and is now about 1.018sg. Got him from a freshwater tank. He acclimated fine. I don't think long term fw is good for them. As adults I believe they can go full marine, which is what I'm working towards now so that I can add more variety to my tank. There are also a few Dalmatian Molly and a black Molly in the tank as well.

passon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
florida
I've had mine for about two years, started real low and is now 1.016sg. I want to make full marine soon to put some full salt fish. I have some mollys and nerite snails in there too. Def. need to be high brackish or full marine towards adulthood imo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store