Scleropages Leichardti

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
Make sure you have a tight tight tight lid and try not to turn on light or rush the tank. These arowanas are the most spooked I've seen and it makes me cringe every time they freak out. I recently did a water change, touched his tail and he jumped out of the nearly 5' stand, hit the sliding door and flopped on the floor. I was so scared I almost had a heart attack. Luckily he is hardy and only a handful of scales and bleeding occurred. I hope this helps.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: Lgw

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
you can try some natives like mangrove jack or a barramundi or aust. cod they'll
hold their own.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I'm curious, was this wild caught at that size? I got my lei at 3" and hand fed it from the beginning. It grew up with a tig till about 10" then Dats and silver dollars. Never showed any agression to anything besides my fingers. It died from an infection at 27".

Lgw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
I'm curious, was this wild caught at that size? I got my lei at 3" and hand fed it from the beginning. It grew up with a tig till about 10" then Dats and silver dollars. Never showed any agression to anything besides my fingers. It died from an infection at 27".
I've finally had some luck... I have just built a new tank and dropped in some tank mates.

25cm red snook
20cm green snook
25cm silver shark
2x 15cm tinfoil barbs
2 X 25cm salmon tail catfish

The lei seems to chase the silver shark quite often and leave the others alone. However it seems to be easing over time.

Fingers crossed I can make this work. I'm thinking I need large piece of driftwood, to give the tank mates some where to escape to when he has his crazy moments.

image.jpeg

Reactions: moe214

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Best of luck with it , a piece of bogwood would help break the line of sight when the chase is on too , ive got a couple in my jardini tank that act as good shelters when things get tuff on tankmates

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
My Leichardti will chase anything silver, any other color it pays no attention to.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Its pretty much the norm with most jardini too Tom , well not quite its more a case of silver fish die first

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
He's doing great about 12 - 13" now. I bought a bunch of fathead minnows a few months ago and put them in his tank. Some of them were rosey reds and some were regular silver/grey color he ate the normal colored ones and now i have a breeding colony of rosey reds in the tank. Pretty cool fish actually but he doesn't even look at them. I also have two senagal bichers in the tank one is an albino and the other is normal color again he will chase the normal colored one but the albino swims unnoticed. The Silver dollars he chases regularly. It's strange it's like pinkish/yellow fish are in stealth mode there is no interest what so ever. I'll update his thread soon. The little silver is getting big about 14" now and an eating machine.

Reactions: Evz jardini

Lgw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
All is going well. I sold the salmontail cats, as they just weren't thriving.

I missed my old oscars, so I risked getting a couple more. So far, the lei hasn't even looked like attacking them and they seem pretty comfortable in the tank.

Here's a pic with my daughter looking very pleased with herself lol.

image.jpeg

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store