Secret to angelfish and sharks

Biomatic

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2015
That's my tank in the video. I've had the Smoothound for 2 years.

I started with a 72" x 30" x 24" Plywood and only the coral cat. Once I got the Smoothound I moved them into a 78" x 30" x 31". They were around 11" at that time.

Now they're in a 72" x 36" x 27". 300 Gallon.

Skimmer, 1/2 HP chiller, 57w Aqua UV Sterilizer, Auto Top Off 29 gallon resevoir. Jebao 12000 Return - 3176 GPH. Jebao RW-20. 72" Evo Green 3w LED Fixture

I'm .5 mile from the ocean so water changes are large 100 gallon seawater deliveries.

Stock list and how long I've had them.

Smoothound Shark - 20" - 2 years
Cat Shark - 20"
Harlequin Tusk - 4" - 6 months
Purple Tang - 3" - 6 months
Blueface Angel - 3" - 6 months
Goliath Grouper (Allegedly) from Bali - 6" - 6 months
Fiji Fox Face - 3" - 6 months

The angel has never picked at the sharks, nor the tang or fox face. I work in the aquarium industry with fish wholesalers and custom tank manufacturers. In the companies 8 x 8 x 10 3000 gallon cylinder there are many tangs and angels. At one point Grunts picked out the eyes of the white spotted Bamboo's.

There will be a larger tank for their fourth home with at least 4' wide.

I added the fish when one of the wholesalers closed, no one took the fish and we were draining the systems, so I took them.

I don't think that there is any secret other than each fishes personality. I have a 20G L with only a Flame Back Angel and mushrooms and Zoa's. He's never picked at a coral. There were also chalices and favias at one point. Other people had angels demolish their corals.

It's always a work in progress, but the tank is stable and the animals are healthy.

Current Tank
View attachment 1171337
View attachment 1171338
Wow, thanks for sharing! Small world that you somehow happened to find this thread
can i ask about the tank you said is plywood

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
I currently have 2 BTRs along with a French Angel, Koran Angel and numerous other species... I think the most important thing is to make sure that the sharks are initially introduced alone and develop a feeding pattern. Then start introducing the other species...

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
I currently have 2 BTRs along with a French Angel, Koran Angel and numerous other species... I think the most important thing is to make sure that the sharks are initially introduced alone and develop a feeding pattern. Then start introducing the other species...
ORVs are a bit different than benthics. Benthics are prone to getting picked on. While ORVs are more prone to eating tank mates as a generality.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store