Selling a tank -- Where do I cut the sump pipe?

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
The pipe that goes from my internal overflow to my sump has been hot glued into place. Where should I cut the pipe? Would it be better to cut on the blue section in the picture or cut on the thread of the bulkhead? Or maybe can I just unattach the grey hose and unscrew the bulkhead? The grey hose isn't glued in. I want to cut it in a way that it can be easiest to reinstall later. (Sorry for the basic questions. This is my brother's tank and he's not here to help me out. I don't know very much about sumps honestly.)

Also, once I cut the pipe, I can just unscrew the bulkhead and take it out right? There's a pipe inside the overflow that attaches to the other side of the bulkhead in the pics.

20151125_091701.jpg

20151125_093031.jpg

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
saw that sucker right below the coupling coming from the bulkhead then just unscrew the bulkhead.

I'd aim for the primer-covered area lol.
Looks like a tight fit for a saw to fit even a small one. It will work but a Dremel seems a better fit. Don't remove the bulkhead unless you want it give it to the new owner.

If this was me and selling a tank I would just leave it in place and where the Grey pipe attaches to the sump take it out. You can lay the tank on the side for transport. When I sell the less effort for me the better unless you want the bulkhead and fittings.

Reactions: boldtogether

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Thats a threaded adapter...It actually looks like the fittings will fit through the opening and the tank will lift out of the opening...just unscrew it at that point...
I was going to suggest that as well but look at the stand design it'll be hard to get a wrench in there and turn it.

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
a dreamel can fit in there.. or actually just remove the grey house and just thread it off from the bulkhead. unless RIP lol(if its glued)

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I was going to suggest that as well but look at the stand design it'll be hard to get a wrench in there and turn it.
Nah...jus slide the tank forward and lift it up....the fittings will fit through the opening, then just unscrew it....may need help with the tank and eyes underneath as you lift....

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
The pipe that goes from my internal overflow to my sump has been hot glued into place. Where should I cut the pipe? Would it be better to cut on the blue section in the picture or cut on the thread of the bulkhead? Or maybe can I just unattach the grey hose and unscrew the bulkhead? The grey hose isn't glued in. I want to cut it in a way that it can be easiest to reinstall later. (Sorry for the basic questions. This is my brother's tank and he's not here to help me out. I don't know very much about sumps honestly.)

Also, once I cut the pipe, I can just unscrew the bulkhead and take it out right? There's a pipe inside the overflow that attaches to the other side of the bulkhead in the pics.

View attachment 1151393

View attachment 1151398
Disconnect the flexy hose from the 90 and turn it inward....lift tank up and out....then unthread the 90...were do you live.....I will come do it!!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
seems to me loosen the bull washer then unscrew stand-up from the 90. may need to use a screw driver and a hammer to break the bull washer loose, needless to say be careful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store