Senegal Bichirs Spawned:D

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
One with egg sack and alive, I will give the other eggs maybe one more day concentrate on the one.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The fry didn't make it, so will wait for the next spawn, and try something differently .

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
TE="tlindsey, post: 7344523, member: 93937"]Let start off by saying that this is not my first time experiencing this with Senegals. I noticed a lot of activity such as my male albino bichir sucking up some sand in his mouth, and started downing the tiny egg he had sniffed out lol. Had tied some java moss on a piece of coral rock, and buried the stone in the sand previously before any of this happend. Noticed one of the females was very gravid while feeding them, the following morning saw male albino and female sen scattering eggs in the area of the java fern:) So ran in the basement and grabbed my set of magnifying glass, and started looking for eggs managed to use a pipette to suck a few up, placed them in a bare bottom 5 gal with a sponge filter from the parent tank. Tossed in some floating java moss, and java ferns. Before going to work I had a feeling that some of them or even all of them could be infertile. So to make a long story short got home, and my gut feelings were correct some of the eggs were white. Going to pickup some methylen blue tomorrow. I have been culturing microworms for almost 2 yrs just for this occasion. About 3yrs ago tried to raise some hatchlings but failed due to not having live food that sinks. I will keep everyone posted hopefully I'm successful this time:)

View attachment 1142028

View attachment 1142029

View attachment 1142030

View attachment 1142031[/QUOTE]

wild bill wild bill hopefully this helps if you have any other questions fill free to ask. Btw I am having a lot of activity out of my Senegals they spawned last year around this time.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
TE="tlindsey, post: 7344523, member: 93937"]Let start off by saying that this is not my first time experiencing this with Senegals. I noticed a lot of activity such as my male albino bichir sucking up some sand in his mouth, and started downing the tiny egg he had sniffed out lol. Had tied some java moss on a piece of coral rock, and buried the stone in the sand previously before any of this happend. Noticed one of the females was very gravid while feeding them, the following morning saw male albino and female sen scattering eggs in the area of the java fern:) So ran in the basement and grabbed my set of magnifying glass, and started looking for eggs managed to use a pipette to suck a few up, placed them in a bare bottom 5 gal with a sponge filter from the parent tank. Tossed in some floating java moss, and java ferns. Before going to work I had a feeling that some of them or even all of them could be infertile. So to make a long story short got home, and my gut feelings were correct some of the eggs were white. Going to pickup some methylen blue tomorrow. I have been culturing microworms for almost 2 yrs just for this occasion. About 3yrs ago tried to raise some hatchlings but failed due to not having live food that sinks. I will keep everyone posted hopefully I'm successful this time:)

View attachment 1142028

View attachment 1142029

View attachment 1142030

View attachment 1142031
Damn im excited:), when i read this thread i wasent even a member yet, i was just trying to learn about poly and saw this. Good luck we'll be watching:)

Reactions: Zilch and tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I would like to see this happen :)

What's the main tank size and other conditions? It's all so interesting

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The 4 Senegal's are in a 55 1male 3 female and 2 of the female's are gravid. I will post the parameters of the aquarium later and will post them.
That's actually fairly small. I never knew they would spawn like that. Great stuff though

I would try and breed bichirs but I only want one. I'll try in future maybe.

Good luck :)

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store