Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

Severum Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Flowerhorn, Blood Parrots and Other Cichlid Crosse' started by Kaliedoscope, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Kaliedoscope

Kaliedoscope MFK Members

Mar 9, 2015
      Hi, I was in the forum discussing the possibility of a rd/severum hybrid, and it brought up the subject of my fish, which I believed was a Convict x Severum. Nobody believed me, so I'm posting this up here with more pictures to see what you guys think. glenbo says its possibly a con x sajica, though I would think that if this was the case, it would have a less sloped forehead (as sajica males have a nuchal hump) the fish in question is an obvious male. All i know is that it came from a tank with a paired convict and severum. Heres pictures before discussion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue colour is from the lights, he pretty much fades between grey and black. He has a definite bar in the middle, like a sajica, though he also has the severum bar on his back end/tail (it is much more obvious when he's in a better mood, i.e. not being photographed, he tends to fade out when you're making him nervous)- this and his body shape are the main things that make me think he's a severum cross. So what do you guys think? Does anyone else here have a cichlid that's crossed with a severum? I believe this to be possible, though many people on here seem to think that it's not. But my question is, if thats not what he is, then what could he be?

Also, MFKr's from oklahoma, do any of you have or know where to find brothers/sisters of this fish? I got him from leanns' place on kelly in edmond, the guy that brought them in said they were the result of a convict and severum, so thats' all the proof I have. I have never seen a sajica or heard of anyone having them in oklahoma.

So what do you guys think? is a heros/cryptoheros cross possible? what is he?

By the way, heres a picture of a sajica and severum for reference. Black bar in the middle is reminiscent of saj but the body shape is very similar to a severum no?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will try to get a good picture of the sev bar on his tail if people are interested in figuring this out with me

2. thefishmaster1

thefishmaster1 MFK Members

Dec 11, 2010
      idk

3. Hoyo12

Hoyo12 MFK Members

Brady
      Yesterday at 1:39 PM
      Good answer!

Anyway, by the looks of the face, it appears to be a Jack Dempsey x Convict hybrid. I do not believe that it is a Severum hybrid.

4. Kaliedoscope

Kaliedoscope MFK Members

Mar 9, 2015
      hah lol yeah I thought that added a lot too. I'm not too sure about the possibility that it's a JD x COn cross though, I believe that would produce a more torpedo shaped fish than a convict; my fish is a little more disk-shaped and heavy bodied than a con. From what i've found on the net, a JD/con would look a little more like this
      [​IMG]

Or it would at least have a dot in the middle at some point like a JD instead of a bar
      this guy's pretty much looked like this all his life, only his fins have developed and gotten more showy.

Btw Hoyo, Knives are some of my favorite fish. I am envious of your collection, If i had those here I wouldn't do anything but watch them

5. glenbo

glenbo MFK Members

Mar 16, 2015
      From the pics i can see a definite 'T' but also looks liek some JD pearling, and you said it has bigger teeth than a normal Con, JD's have that whereas Severums do not :)

6. Camphilophus

Camphilophus MFK Members

Mar 10, 2014
      looks like convict X cryptohero to me

7. Kaliedoscope

Kaliedoscope MFK Members

Mar 9, 2015
      what do you mean cryptohero?
      I just mentioned that before as the genus convicts were in formally, kind of an attempt to equate it with heros

8. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks MFK Members

Mar 18, 2012
      i think its a normal convict with a lil mutation from being breed with its siblings

9. Chrisplosion

Chrisplosion Mean Cat
      Staff Member

Christopher
      Sep 14, 2014
      Lol, theres no severum in this fish.

10. Water

Water MFK Members

Yesterday at 9:45 PM
      x2