Sexing Red Spotted Severum

David Drake

Feeder Fish
Aug 11, 2015
Red Spotted Deacon 2.JPG Red Spotted Deacon.JPGWe arrived home last night and found these two kissing for a long time - exactly the same behaviour I have seen in a breeding pair of Greens I had.
I have also had difficulty in identifying the sex - On close inspection I noticed a fairly obvious bulge behind/below the gills on the top photo - Not laid eggs yet, but I am fairly certain this is the female - also fainter on the nose when viewed from the front - very difficult to distinguish between the spots and worm markings and fins read elsewhere.
I hope this helps others.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Worm markings on face doesn't apply to red spotted sevs in regards to sexing, and lip locking doesn't automatically mean courtship.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
As xraycer said, there is no sexual dimorphism in red severum. Severum in general may lay eggs among two females, and red severum have massive fertility problems.

Reactions: KABB44423

David Drake

Feeder Fish
Aug 11, 2015
So you two guys are "EXPERTS" ...... what somebody else has to say is "rubbish"!
My opinion, somebody who has three thousand messages in less than two years has nothing better to do with themselves.

I don't know what you two know about Severums, neither do you know what I know. I may not know everything, but can assure you I do know something, with atleast 10 years experience in breeding, keeping and reasonable success in identifying males and females of green Severum under a half inch.

I think there is a fair amount of accurate information to be found on Google and I was sharing my own experience.
No reference was made to "courtship" and because someone says there is "no", then there is "no, not maybe someone has stumbled onto....." , "doesn't apply" - my reference to "sexing" may just be the answer to which nobody seems to have found a satisfactory solution.

But with attitudes like yours when you criticise newcomers, I will not share advice that I know works (it is not worth the effort!) which I have not found working elsewhere such as treating very bad cases of whitespot - I mean WHITE, not just spots, fish near dead, floating or lying on the substrate, causes/reasons thereof ......

Maybe you should just first read what others have to say - they must just have something worth it.

The administrator may remove this post as I have no desire to remain with "I.D. ten T's" like these two (by the way ten is a figure).
In my opinion, forums are designed to share information.

So yesterday was "Hello" and today is "Goodbye"!

Reactions: Woefulrelic

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
So you two guys are "EXPERTS" ...... what somebody else has to say is "rubbish"!
Neither member was condescending or insulting they simply stated their own knowledge on the subject. Realize many hobbyist have tried breeding Red Sevs and what X and Woe stated is the general consensus among many. Now that doesn't make their statements any more valid then yours but they didn't imply that either, they simply stated what they've heard or know from personal experience. Where is the criticism of you in sharing their own opinions?

My opinion, somebody who has three thousand messages in less than two years has nothing better to do with themselves.
This is how ever is a direct attack against X. Your "opinion" is purposefully meant to imply that X has no life, a direct insult on his character and implies your own superiority. It is also not the only attack you made in your response. Hopefully after reexamination you can see the difference between their statements and yours.

The administrator may remove this post as I have no desire to remain with "I.D. ten T's" like these two (by the way ten is a figure).
I don't feel the need to erase your response nor infract for it. You're new and sometimes things can be taken the wrong way especially when entering a established community. So I hope you'll just take this as a learning experience and try not to be so easily offended next time.

I also hope you don't choose to leave us based on this. What you can offer the community and what the community can offer you has much potential and I'd hate for us or you losing that opportunity to gain knowledge over a misunderstanding.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

I don't know what you two know about Severums, neither do you know what I know. I may not know everything, but can assure you I do know something, with atleast 10 years experience in breeding, keeping and reasonable success in identifying males and females of green Severum under a half inch.

I think there is a fair amount of accurate information to be found on Google and I was sharing my own experience.
No reference was made to "courtship" and because someone says there is "no", then there is "no, not maybe someone has stumbled onto....." , "doesn't apply" - my reference to "sexing" may just be the answer to which nobody seems to have found a satisfactory solution.

But with attitudes like yours when you criticise newcomers, I will not share advice that I know works (it is not worth the effort!) which I have not found working elsewhere such as treating very bad cases of whitespot - I mean WHITE, not just spots, fish near dead, floating or lying on the substrate, causes/reasons thereof ......

Maybe you should just first read what others have to say - they must just have something worth it.

Wow, really? LOL
I didn't realize my post made me come across like an a-hole. Honestly, I was just trying to be helpful and not a know-it-all.

Yes, I'm addicted to my hobby and MFK, I'm on here all the time....thanks to plenty of down time at work and my awesome Galaxy cell phone. Just shy of 3K posts?....cool! :)

In regards to severums, here is some of my personal experiences

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store